Harbor Freight - 7 Ton Electric Splitter - Switch Modification

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

barnuba

Feb 10, 2011
South Central PA
I picked up a HF 7 ton electric splitter the other day. So far so good...I've torn up some Cherry and Osage with it.

Has anyone performed the switch modification on this unit? Just wondering how straight forward this is to complete.

Here's the mod on a Homelite splitter. From looking at the pictures, it shouldn't be hard to do it on the HF model. To mount the tee hinge you have to detach the electric control box from the splitter, don't disconnect the wiring, just remove the screws that hold the box to the side of the motor and swing the box down so you can put screws in to hold the hinge. Use self-tapping sheet metal screws.

. Foot Pedal 2.jpg

Foot Pedal 1.jpg

Reactions: HDRock
So basically I could put something heavy on the button and use the lever exclusively?

Not if it's like the Homelite. The ram won't retract until the motor powers down. Also, the ram won't start forward again until the motor has stopped and restarted. Play with it a little and you'll figure it out.

Not if it's like the Homelite. The ram won't retract until the motor powers down. Also, the ram won't start forward again until the motor has stopped and restarted. Play with it a little and you'll figure it out.

Neither the Speeco 5 ton nor the Task Force I had before work that way.
They both retract while the motor is running.
The Speeco has a push on push off switch so it runs all the time.
I added a foot pedal to control the hydraulic lever so I have both hands free.

Neither the Speeco 5 ton nor the Task Force I had before work that way.
They both retract while the motor is running.
The Speeco has a push on push off switch so it runs all the time.
I added a foot pedal to control the hydraulic lever so I have both hands free.

Interesting, I had assumed that all of these units were basically the same. I'd like to hear from the owners of other makes.

So basically I could put something heavy on the button and use the lever exclusively?
Yes, the ram is controlled with the lever ,it will retract while the motor is running..I prefer not to run the motor all the time , Chinese motors are known for not lasting a long time
You do know that the HF 7 ton has 2 speeds right ? Does not tell U that in the manual

Reactions: MrWhoopee
I will mess around with the splitter controls this weekend to see what I can figure out - thanks for the pics Mr Whoopee!

I remember reading somewhere that the splitter has two speeds - I'm not sure how to change the speed though?

I will mess around with the splitter controls this weekend to see what I can figure out - thanks for the pics Mr Whoopee!

I remember reading somewhere that the splitter has two speeds - I'm not sure how to change the speed though?
Push lever part way ,U get fast speed less pressure, do this until the wood hits the wedge, then push lever all the way, slower speed max pressure, once the piece pops, raise lever up to finish with more speed.
Don't forget to open the bleed screw , before running or U can blow seals out, Not Good :)
Edit: also use at least a #12 extension cord, or #10

Yes, the ram is controlled with the lever ,it will retract while the motor is running..I prefer not to run the motor all the time , Chinese motors are known for not lasting a long time
You do know that the HF 7 ton has 2 speeds right ? Does not tell U that in the manual

One of the things I like about these splitters is that the motor is NOT running all the time. Longevity questions aside, I like the quiet. It's only noisy (and not very) when splitting.

Status
Not open for further replies.