Harman 52i Insert Outdoor Air Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Q68

Dec 8, 2018
Connecticut
Hi all, I will be having a 52i insert installed within the next couple of weeks. Question regarding outdoor air.

My existing fireplace was built with an outdoor air inlet - basically a "brick vent" that I believe opens into the ash dump chute. You can't see an opening in the firebox, but you can feel cold air coming in through the chute. If I remove the metal grate from the chute, that opening is flush with the floor of the firebox, just inside the hearth opening. When the Harman is put in place, will the bottom of the insert be sitting directly on the firebox floor, or are there mounting rails along the perimeter that stand it up an inch or so? Or better yet, is the bottom of the insert not a solid piece of steel?

I'm figuring that if that chute opening isn't blocked by the insert frame, the unit should end up drawing its combustion air through the existing path.

I believe the bottoms are open (just framework). I don't see why it would not work.

Run a proper “pipe” up with your exhaust. No thinking about it being right or not. No draft, no fuss!