Harman 52i vs. P35?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MarkSJohnson

Oct 30, 2013
Coastal RI
I'm looking into buying a Harman 52i or P35 insert. Either would likely be fine in my setup, but the $1900 price difference between units really shrinks when you consider the 52i is eligible for the 26% tax credit.

Is there any reason to choose the P35? (Like maybe the electronic control panel on the 52i can be problematic or something?)
And since I have your ear: Does anyone know how a tax credit works in a year where you wouldn't likely be paying a lot of tax? Do you actually get a tax rebate, or does the credit "only go to zero, so to speak?".

I'm hoping to wrap up this decision and order today, but my tax guy is on vacation so I can't ask him!
🙂

Typically the tax credit carries over to the next year if you have hit a "$0" liability. This is usually the case but your situation may differ if there are other factors involve. I have the 52i(non-tc) and its great, I would say go with the 52i as you can always turn a stove down but never increase btu's of a smaller stove.

Out of curiosity how much space are you looking to heat. I am able to heat ~1400 sq feet even when it's extremely cold out(single digits and below) without issue.

Reactions: mtnbiker727
It is a non-refundable tax credit, so it only takes you down to zero. You can roll over some unused credits to the next year, but not all of them qualify and I'm unsure which category a pellet stove falls under.