Harman P38+ shutdown -empty hopper

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gfreek

Minister of Fire
Nov 5, 2010
WNYS
Since my Harman P38+ combustion blower stays running after running out of pellets unless I turn the knob to off, has any one made a system that shuts off power to the stove or blower when out of pellets or no exhaust vent temp??

That is how stove is designed. Circuit board is very bare bones. That is why board forp38 is abt 125 and board for the other harmans is 235 or so.

That is how stove is designed. Circuit board is very bare bones. That is why board forp38 is abt 125 and board for the other harmans is 235 or so.

the "old" circuitboard is no longer available from Harman. The "new" circuitboard available is actually the "old" P61 circuitboard. If you have to replace the "old" board, you'll need a retrofit kit.

I understand that thats the way it is, and there is a new/upgrade board kit , but just wondering if anybody tried to modify it so it would shut off completely..

unplug it? Hmmm....modifying a UL listed appliance? Read something about that somewhere.....

unplug it? Hmmm....modifying a UL listed appliance?
Here we go...... Shame on me for not asking the question when I was shopping for a stove... 10.00 timer should work......

S
unplug it? Hmmm....modifying a UL listed appliance? Read something about that somewhere.....
Special place in hell next to the lawyers for modifying anything UL listed.It's next to the mattress label rippers.

Lousy weather,
I cant remember, Does the manual ign p61 board have room temp/ stove temp w/ a room sensing prob? Is that the retrofit board for the p38? How long ago did this take place? I have 1 orig. p38 board on hand.

dont tell anyone Rick, but yes.......with the new-old P38 board, all a guy has to do is add a room sensing probe to the little devil to make it thermostatically controlled....and its a cheap part......the retro kit has been out awhile...maybe 9 months? The old board looked like the P61a board, just without the auto/manual toggle.
Its funny....we bought all the 38 boards we could when we saw what the retrofit entailed.....the retro job is a PiTA, but necessary if you cant get the "old" P38 boards...apparently the original manufacturer of the boards just stopped making them for some reason or the other......but the P61 board does have thermostat connectors on it...yay

Here we go...... Shame on me for not asking the question when I was shopping for a stove... 10.00 timer should work......

This will turn it off, but if your stove is in full flame when the timer goes off, your gonna have a smoky stove. I suppose if your manually turning the stove off, a timer will work, just don't forget to turn off the stove.

Am I missing something here? If I run out of pellets, the proof of fire switch opens and off goes the stove.

Am I missing something here? If I run out of pellets, the proof of fire switch opens and off goes the stove.

Not on Harman P38+. It's fully manual, no igniter, 2 knobs-room blower & feed rate. When it runs out of pellets, the room blower stays on till stove temp is reduced, the exhaust blower stays on until I manually turn feed knob to off...

Ok, thanks....Is this an old stove or do they still make a manual model?

Status
Not open for further replies.