Harman p52i igniter: OEM vs aftermarket

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

wally1234

Sep 5, 2010
CT
I want to buy a new igniter for my stove... I’m torn between a OEM harman part vs aftermarket.

I’ve read on the forums ppl advocating for both. Many saying OEM had issues... but this was around 2016. Do I roll the dice with OEM?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is the stove under warranty, and will buying an aftermarket igniter void it? If not, then if you can find an equivalent igniter at a savings, why not? You need an igniter with the same electrical characteristics, obviously, and also with the same length, diameter, and screw-hole pattern. My guess is that most stove manufacturers get their igniters from a supplier, because I have seen the same igniters advertised for many different models. I bought a spare igniter that appears to be the exact same as the one that came with my stove for a quarter of the price the manufactuerer charges.

If I ever need to install the spare, we'll see what happens, lol!

Last edited:
Good point about voiding the warranty... I looked at the manual and it shows the igniter has a 2 yr warranty (I’m going on my 3rd year).

I don’t know the exact specs for my igniter (3-20-677200). I was gonna do a google search for that part #.

I found an OEM for $40 (from pellet head). Not bad price but not sure if these have high turnover rate.

I would find it hard to believe that $40 is OEM. Harman OEM igniters are super solid now. They did go thru a bad spell a few years back. During that time I was replacing many igniters each season servicing stoves. Now I replace a couple per year and they are usually many years old.

Earth sense energy/pellet head are sourcing most of thier parts from china. They do cary alot of OEM but its the same price as OEM or more. I got a convection blower motor from them supposed to be the same specs as the old big-e’s but it was far from it.

R u saying pellet head is carrying junk parts?