Harman P61a Burn On/Off Burn Cycle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rico7684

Sep 22, 2010
Finger Lakes, NY
I have a new P61a, which cycles on and off frequently after reaching room temperature. It burns on high, tapers off to a more moderate burn, then shuts off and then repeats the cycle. I previously had a P61a for many years, which would burn on high, taper off and then burn at a low temperature steadily. I don't remember the older stove cycling on/off like this one.

This unit does not seem to operate like the old unit did (or maybe my memory doesn't). I have placed the temperature sensor wire in various places in the room, yet same results. The feed rate appears to be correct and it is burning pellets properly, it's just the constant on/off cycle which I'm not used to with the old unit.

Any ideas if this is working properly, and if not, any ideas as to how to resolve it?

A forward thanks for all help!

Check your manual page 12 /13 tells you what you wish to know

Depending on the age of your old P61a, the new one will have the updated board as well, the burn cycles are slightly different.

Is the room much smaller than the room you had one in before? Maybe the stove is overshooting room temp due to the area being to small for the feed rate? The stove will slow the feed as it gets close to the set temp then idol for awhile if temp is met and stays met. Maybe it is going way over then shutting down? Turn feed rate down 1 point and see what happens

What version is the board? I replaced my 06 FS Accentra board and the new version shut the stove off rather than go into idle mode on room temp/auto.

Not only have I read the manual, I've had an older one for ten years. The question was regarding this new one & the on/off cycle that is different than the old one, so thank you very little BB

"I previously had a P61a for many years, which would burn on high, taper off and then burn at a low temperature steadily. " your words. Have a nice life.

Reactions: johneh