Hay Hooks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Old Red

Jan 21, 2016
Onondaga NY
Looking at the local online garage I saw a photo of '3 antique hay hooks $40'. Wrote the seller and said I'll come get them. I've never used pulp hooks before but I'll give them a try.

Monday last I got drafted to unload and stack hay where the wife boards her horse. They had no hay hooks around because the place has a lot of young boarders. Next time they put me to work I'll be equipped.

sn1.jpg

They're marked Snow & Nealley Bangor Maine.

sn2.jpg

Reactions: Sean McGillicuddy
Nice set of hooks. When I was a youngster my stepfather had a similar set of hooks. Didn't realize then they were hay hooks. He used them to scare me and my sister when we were slack on our chores. He would chase us, flailing his arms around while holding the hooks. It would get us right back on task pronto. The old days. Good times for sure.

I have one with a ring in place of the handle, which I use on the far end of a log when skidding them into the trailer with the winch. You can only get the logs so far onto the trailer with the tongs on the foreword end, so to get them home I play some cable out, and connect it to one of those hooks jammed in the aft end of the log.

Didn't realize then they were hay hooks.

Just the one is a hay hook. The two with a flat blade are pulp hooks. I'd been thinking about getting a set; looked at them on Bailey's website the morning these came up for sale.

Had plenty of experience with hay hooks when I was a young kid. My brother and I weren't old enough, in Dad's opinion, to load hay on the elevator so we got to be up in the barn and stack bales. About the time I was old enough to run equipment he sold the farm and bought a lumber yard. Then he let me run the forklift and stack lumber by myself.

Reactions: Sean McGillicuddy
About 25 years ago at the outset of my farming career, I apprenticed with a farmer in MN for a while, then NH. I was exposed to lots of stuff I was unfamiliar with here in the southeast. Hay hooks were around, and there were lots of conversations about whether a hay hook made bale pitching easier. I never got in the habit. I never even got in the habit of using gloves. We mostly made rolls on the farm but I always made a few thousand bales of nice alfalfa mix squares for calves or to sell or just to have another baler picking up hay during times I’ve knocked a lot of acreage down. Usually 600-1000 bales in an afternoon. Handled twice.

Now a pulp hook is something I used a lot, apprenticing with a farmer in southern NH. He had a big woodlot, sawmill, shingle mill and used horses and oxen to skid logs. We did lots of woodlot work, thinning hardwoods, and would skid them into a big pile. Then we’d cut into 4’ sections. The pulp hook was used in the far end to pick up the 4’ sections to set on the splitter. After splitting, wed cut to cordwood length on a tractor mount saw rig. Ya, that thing was an arm eater. We processed dozens of cords over short periods of time. We burned a lot too.

We had a very nice wood stove where all the cooking took place. A lot of good cooking. I’m 45 now, and I eat a fraction of what I’d eat then. Pork chops, hamburger sized sausage patties, potatoes, turnips, hubbard squash, etc. Meals were huge and precisely on time. This was a well run Farm and household. He’d pull out a tub of ice cream in the AM occasionally. “It’s milk, it’s healthy” he’d say. He was a dairy farmer. I was 20, he didn’t have to convince me.

They had the most organized woodshed I’d ever seen. It was unbelievable. He’d take all kinds of time to perfectly stack the wood, so that there was little airspace in the rack, which held several dry cords. There was a big wood box by the stove with doors on outside and inside to fill with wood without letting a bunch of cold in. It was by far the most efficient and organized wood program I’ve seen on any farm. Besides big boilers.

Apprenticing with this guy really affected how I work, how I train others to work. It was good to learn this approach before a career of running commercial farms with only tractors. This guy built his barn connected to his house by a garage and wood storage. The wood was all milled there, shingles too. It was an old New England style home with low ceilings, heated easily. Could walk easily to the barn in weather, back draft horses out of tie stalls, harness them, and be out working within minutes.

I can still remember the feeling of that hook digging into the end of the wood. Then lifting vertical, then using a knee as a fulcrum on heavy 4’ pieces, and setting on the splitter. The thing would develop a sharp, flat little hook on the tip after a lot of use. I’m going to try and dig up some old photos. We stuffed all that away when the kids were little. Now they’re 19 and 23 and we’re starting to catch our breath, I guess I’ll see if all those photos are stuck together....yikes. We didn’t get AC until 10 years ago.

Thanks for the memory!

Newer pulp hooks have a replaceable kind of 'squared' tip, just sharp enough to grab a log end to hold it, but not deep enough to easily pull it out.
Its a technique that Cheoah and us develop over too many years humping logs. The "hay" things don't bite into the butt ends enough.
Paper plant pulp logs are usually 4' long for throwing with the hook in one end, your hand the other. Not good for older backs BTW.
Other than a chainsaw, pulp hooks are mandated for firewood butt harvests and splitting.

I can still remember the feeling of that hook digging into the end of the wood. Then lifting vertical, then using a knee as a fulcrum on heavy 4’ pieces, and setting on the splitter. The thing would develop a sharp, flat little hook on the tip after a lot of use. I’m going to try and dig up some old photos. We stuffed all that away when the kids were little. Now they’re 19 and 23 and we’re starting to catch our breath, I guess I’ll see if all those photos are stuck together....yikes. We didn’t get AC until 10 years ago.

Thanks for the memory!

Yes Old Red, Thanks for the memories!! I haven't had a good night sleep since you posted these pictures. Just when I am about the enter the R.E.M. stage, I am rudely awakened with visions of my Step Father clutching his hay hooks, flailing his arms in windmill fashion, chasing my sister and I, mumbling gibberish with bloodshot eyes. It takes me back to a simpler time, when hard work was expected and obedience was mandatory. I just had to share these pictures with my sister. I think that was a mistake. Oh well, live and learn. Nice hooks. Cherish them. Manly :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Old Red