Hearth pad for a Summers Heat Model 50-SNC13LC

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

r dubya

Dec 4, 2008
Ninilchik AK
Thanks for the help anyone can offer, I have used the search function and there is lots of good
reading there, but now I'am more confused.
I do not have micore or roxul available.
I need an R value of 2.
I can get the metal studs and duroc and tiles.
1 more question, in my manual it has the clearances for single wall-no heat shields, and
double wall-with heat shields, measurements B and C are bigger with the double wall
with heat shields, this also on the back of the stove. Measurements A,D,E are much
smaller with the double-wall and heat shields, More confusion! To steal a phrase,
Aye, its driving me nuts.
Thanks again. RW

I can't help ya on the hearth pad part but the clearance issue on that stove has come up a few times here and Mike from ESW gave an answer. Seems with the double wall pipe the stove drafted much harder and got much hotter when they burned the crap out of it at the test lab. Therefore it got higher clearance requirements with the double wall pipe. Everybody knows it is weird but the test standard rules are the test standard rules.

Thanks BB, I have spent a lot of time here lurking/reading/learning and really appreciate
the time Mike puts into this site. So if I went with the single wall pipe and the heat shields
do you think I can go with the closer clearances ?

You sure should be able to. Give them a call. They should have put those clearances with single wall and heat shields in that manual. I don't know what the deal is with that.

r dubya said:
I do not have micore or roxul available.
I need an R value of 2.
I can get the metal studs and duroc and tiles.

RW - what is your specific question about the hearth construction? Doesn't look like this ever got addressed.

Edthedawg, thanks for the reply.
I need a hearth with an R value of 2, from what I have read I think I would need about 8 layers of duroc [.26R]?
If I used the metal studs on edge [air space] how much duroc would I need on top, also how close would the studs
need to be to get good support for the duroc?.
Thanks again for your time and help...Happy Holidays...RW

Not really knowing anything about the footprint you're trying to cover, or the details of the 50-SNC13LC you're putting on top of it (especially its contact surface on the hearth), I'd think about doing this:

- Establish your flat, level, solid floor / subfloor area
- Lay one layer of 1/2" Durock. Bed in thinset mortar (i.e. Versabond) & screw down as needed, presuming you want this to be permanent.
- Lay out a pattern of steel stud sections on the FLAT. Leave no more than about 6" gap - less if you can. I find they are stronger on flat. Make SURE you put good support under the stove itself, straight out to the front edge, to allow for the installation. Bed those stud sections heavily in mortar. Let that all harden up before proceeding.
- Lay another layer of 1/2" Durock over the grid of steel studs. Bed it in thinset and screw it down to the studs.
- Repeat another layer of steel studs, again bedded heavily in mortar, and again let it all harden up.
- Lay out a final layer of 1/2" Durock over this. Again, bed in thinset and screw it down.
- Now tile over this "5-layer sandwich".

I give that an R-value of 2.42, counting 0.2 for the 1/2" Durock, .9 for the "dead air" created by the steel studs, and 0.02 for 1/4" floor tiles.

I have some photos of this in an earlier post, i'll have to dig it out. or just search on my name.

Edthedawg you are Edtheman!, thanks that is exactly what I was looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.