Hearth project started (With pictures)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
certified106 said:
Ray, It looks really good and I really like the tile color! If I was you I think I would just rip down some wood stain it to match your walls, use power grab on the back of the trim where it meets the hearth, toenail it to the subfloor along the bottom of the trim piece, and then use some dark silicone to finish the top edge of the trim where it meets the hearth.

I like how you have the fire extinguisher mounted right there where it's handy to get should it be needed. Every year I say I'm going to get one but keep forgetting to pick one up.

Thanx Jesse! I was thinking along those lines with wood trim stained or painted a dark color to match the tile then apply brown acrylic latex caulk to fill he void and also where the tile meets the logs.. My insurance carrier changed a while back and they suggested I have a fire extinguisher near the woodstove and also in the kitchen .. I thought about doing that years ago and decided to do it.. I also keep some chimfex in my kindling crock in case of an out of control chimney fire.. Just in case as you never know plus I paid $5.00 each for the Chimfex on clearance at Walmart :)

Ray

Wait a minute Ray, can't you see that one tile right there? Yeah, that one RIGHT THERE. Man, that's not right. Do over. :lol: J/K
The tile job looks great. I think it ties in well with the stone.
I put pine all around mine, but it's 12" high, and now I think I may pull that and tile the face of the raised hearth. Seems like it never ends.
Ya' done good.

PapaDave said:
Wait a minute Ray, can't you see that one tile right there? Yeah, that one RIGHT THERE. Man, that's not right. Do over. :lol: J/K
The tile job looks great. I think it ties in well with the stone.
I put pine all around mine, but it's 12" high, and now I think I may pull that and tile the face of the raised hearth. Seems like it never ends.
Ya' done good.

Thanx Dave!! I may use pine to protect the tile will have to wait and see what I can come up with.. The grout was pretty easy to do and tied all the tiles together.. I used Laticrete Permacolor Mocha colored grout and it seems to blend in pretty well.. Looking forward to the whole project finished!

Ray

One other little thing. If the pine edge will see any traffic, ie: splits hitting it, shoes hitting it, etc., you might want to use oak or hard maple (or another hardwood). The pine will start declining pretty quick.

No Dave. Ray is very careful. You are, aren't you Ray? Pine or Oak?

Backwoods Savage said:
No Dave. Ray is very careful. You are, aren't you Ray? Pine or Oak?

Yes Dennis you know me too well.. I plan on trying pine to see what fits then creating the finished product with hardwood probably oak which can take abuse...Added concrete to blend the tile into the chimney today and it looks good so the trim is next on the list .. Called chimney sweep to get chimney cleaned and inspected (also will buy a short piece of Simpson Duravent welded stove pipe so I can extend a bit further from the chimney) so I can apply for the woodstove install permit.. If anyone is interested I can post a pic of the chimney concreted to the hearth..

Ray

PS: I know you all want pics lol so here they are..

Attachments

• 2011 06 27 001 (Medium).jpg
    2011 06 27 001 (Medium).jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 428
  • 2011 06 27 002 (Medium).jpg
    2011 06 27 002 (Medium).jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 422
  • 2011 06 27 003 (Medium).jpg
    2011 06 27 003 (Medium).jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 419
Wow!

Great Work Bro, that really looks nice.

I will be interested to see how this beautiful project progresses. :)

Cheers,Hiram

Hiram Maxim said:
Wow!

Great Work Bro, that really looks nice.

I will be interested to see how this beautiful project progresses. :)

Cheers,Hiram

Thanx Hiram that put a smile on my face! :) I am pretty sure I will trim the hearth with 3/4" red oak boards.. Will have to wait over a week to get to that point though..

Ray

raybonz said:
My Oslo heats my home said:
Hey Ray,
Good luck with your project. Looks like you got a good start so far. Did you ever find a stove? I knew you had one lined up on CL, but someone slid under the radar on you.

Hey thanx!

Yes we bought an Alderlea T-5 explained in another post because the boss liked it.. I think it will do a good job.. Today we went to Best Tile and wow what a store! The salesperson was a weath of knowledge and we ended up buying 6"x6" tile for 99cents a square foot.. Reg. price was $10.00 per sq. ft. and it was clearance so we bought an extra carton.. I made the mistake of buying the cement board there (Permabase) which I never heard of and will return it as it is not suitable for a hearth floor (I called the company an hr. ago to confirm this).. I was amazed all the colors grout could be bought in and made a nice match with a special additive to make this a forever done job asd far as sealing the grout goes.. I think it will look good when done (at least I hope so!)...More to come! Should hear from the bldg. inspector tomorrow and hopefully my plan will be approved..

Ray

Hi Ray

The T-5 looks like a really nice stove using a steel fire box with the nice cast iron look! Did you get the optional 125 cfm variable speed blower to crank out the heat?

I had the optional 2 speed blower for my VC FA288CCL Large Cat Federal Design Consolidated DutchWest but was a little disappointed with the heat flow.

Attachments

• AlderleaT5Woodstove.jpg
    AlderleaT5Woodstove.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 371
looking good, what kinda big rocks are them on the back wall?

Don2222 said:
raybonz said:
My Oslo heats my home said:
Hey Ray,
Good luck with your project. Looks like you got a good start so far. Did you ever find a stove? I knew you had one lined up on CL, but someone slid under the radar on you.

Hey thanx!

Yes we bought an Alderlea T-5 explained in another post because the boss liked it.. I think it will do a good job.. Today we went to Best Tile and wow what a store! The salesperson was a weath of knowledge and we ended up buying 6"x6" tile for 99cents a square foot.. Reg. price was $10.00 per sq. ft. and it was clearance so we bought an extra carton.. I made the mistake of buying the cement board there (Permabase) which I never heard of and will return it as it is not suitable for a hearth floor (I called the company an hr. ago to confirm this).. I was amazed all the colors grout could be bought in and made a nice match with a special additive to make this a forever done job asd far as sealing the grout goes.. I think it will look good when done (at least I hope so!)...More to come! Should hear from the bldg. inspector tomorrow and hopefully my plan will be approved..

Ray

Hi Ray

The T-5 looks like a really nice stove using a steel fire box with the nice cast iron look! Did you get the optional 125 cfm variable speed blower to crank out the heat?

I had the optional 2 speed blower for my VC FA288CCL Large Cat Federal Design Consolidated DutchWest but was a little disappointed with the heat flow.

Yes I also got the blower.. I find they make a big difference getting the heat out of the stove and moving it around and always used it on my FA264CCL..

Ray

greythorn3 said:
looking good, what kinda big rocks are them on the back wall?

I think that's a pic from the Alderlea website..

Ray

Those rocks are only a reflection off Ray's head! :lol:

All right it's been to long with no updates.........Where are the pictures of the T5 sitting on the hearth? ;-P

certified106 said:
All right it's been to long with no updates.........Where are the pictures of the T5 sitting on the hearth? ;-P

Hey Cert,
I accepted a new position at work and now work a 5 day week so I am having the stove delivered and installed and this should happen in less than 2 weeks.. The last weekend in Aug. we have friends from NH staying for the weekend and my friend is a professional carpenter and offered to do the oak trim on the hearth.. I decided this was the way to go so that's the plan.. The chimney was cleaned and inspected and the permit is in order.. That's the best I can do at this time..

Ray

Hey Ray,
Thanks for the PM!
Really nice job on the hearth man! The tyle is really nice looking and I believe that T5 will look mint in that new setting. I'd love to stay and chat but the new baby is sleeping and this means that I need to go as well :lol: ! I was on the soccer fields for 2 and a half hours with the boys and ran around a bunch as well as a shoot out for about 20 minutes after the kids practice. One of the coaches used to play for the Uruguay National Team as a goalie, it's not everyday you get to shoot at an ex-national pro player so you have to do it when the opportunity comes. His son plays for the New England Revolution at only 16 years old. He has also made appearances at some of the clinics my boys attend. Needless to say, I can barely keep my eyes open, but it sure was nice to hear from you and witness the progress you've made. Great looking job so far, sounds like the hard part is over. Now it's just gonna b hard to wait and burn that new stove another 3 months and we'll be sitting arount the fire again! See ya!

Enjoy your Summer,
Chris

VCBurner said:
Hey Ray,
Thanks for the PM!
Really nice job on the hearth man! The tyle is really nice looking and I believe that T5 will look mint in that new setting. I'd love to stay and chat but the new baby is sleeping and this means that I need to go as well :lol: ! I was on the soccer fields for 2 and a half hours with the boys and ran around a bunch as well as a shoot out for about 20 minutes after the kids practice. One of the coaches used to play for the Uruguay National Team as a goalie, it's not everyday you get to shoot at an ex-national pro player so you have to do it when the opportunity comes. His son plays for the New England Revolution at only 16 years old. He has also made appearances at some of the clinics my boys attend. Needless to say, I can barely keep my eyes open, but it sure was nice to hear from you and witness the progress you've made. Great looking job so far, sounds like the hard part is over. Now it's just gonna b hard to wait and burn that new stove another 3 months and we'll be sitting arount the fire again! See ya!

Enjoy your Summer,
Chris

When's the Encore getting installed? Mine will be installed on the week of August 15th.

BrowningBAR said:
When's the Encore getting installed? Mine will be installed on the week of August 15th.

Hey Browning,

How goes it? So you got an encore heh?! I wish you the best of luck with it and hope it brings you a lifetime of good service. Mine will be in early October. Good to hear from you.

Chris

Hi Chris glad to hear from you and the stove is now on the hearth with only red oak trim work to be done (yes oak isn't just for burning).. Glad your family is doing well and good to hear from you! OK now for the pic of the new stove sitting on the new hearth sans oak trim..

Ray

Attachments

• 2011 07 22 001 (Medium).jpg
    2011 07 22 001 (Medium).jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 402
So nice! Are you trying to make it a cat stove? LOL

(That's a big cat. Is it a Maine Coon Cat?)

BeGreen said:

(That's a big cat. Is it a Maine Coon Cat?)

LOL yeah that is my new "cat" stove... The cats like laying on the hearth as they find it cooler due to the 100+ degree temps here right now.. My cats all 3 of them are from the cat pound.. Such a shame to let such beautiful critters be destroyed and they are pretty good pets despite the abuse they suffered..

Ray

Ray, It looks great!! You should be thrilled with how well it all came out. Have you installed the blower yet? I put mine on the other day and I am suprised at how quiet it is compared to the blower on my Dutchwest.

raybonz said:
Hi Chris glad to hear from you and the stove is now on the hearth with only red oak trim work to be done (yes oak isn't just for burning).. Glad your family is doing well and good to hear from you! OK now for the pic of the new stove sitting on the new hearth sans oak trim..

Ray

Ray I've got to say that looks like the perfect setting for a freestanding stove. It looks beautifull with the stone finish and the wood in the background. That new tyle really makes it stand out, excellent job! Looks like the feline approves it too!

BeGreen

LMAO!!! Looks like you can sell off the cat stove, but the cat stove will always be with you! :lol:

VCBurner said:
raybonz said:

Ray

Ray I've got to say that looks like the perfect setting for a freestanding stove. It looks beautifull with the stone finish and the wood in the background. That new tyle really makes it stand out, excellent job! Looks like the feline approves it too!

BeGreen

LMAO!!! Looks like you can sell off the cat stove, but the cat stove will always be with you! :lol:

Thanx Chris I look forward to the red oak trim that will surround the hearth as I feel it will tie it into the log walls and protect the tile edges! Yeah the cat doesn't add much heat in fact she tends to only take it away!! Cats do make good paperweights though :)

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.