Hearth questions for a Avalon Pendlton

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ddahlgren

Minister of Fire
Apr 18, 2011
SE CT
I bought a while back and installing a used Avalon Pendlton stove on a pedistal free standing in a fairly smal sunroom mostly for ease of instalation and not have to run the Duravent 2 1/2 stories through the house. I bought the stove used as low on cash who isn't in this economy? LOL Here is what I want to build going to put in plenty of time tomorrow and Monday. The stove is undersized for the house on a worst case situation has convection chambers though no blower installed but available as what seems like an over priced option for what it is. My goal is to greatly assist the furnace for 80% of the heating season but let the furnace run on very light heatig days and help on the very high load ones. Basically run the woodstove when it is colder than 45F outside being an 1870s house in New england it has plenty of leaks to make fuel oil dissappear..
Floor
1 layer 5/8 dura rock
1 layer 0.090 aluminum
1 layer 5/8 dura rock
top off with tile and wood border well outside the floor specs in the manual with the increased from 16 inch front clearance to 24 inches
The stove manual calls for a 36 X 39 inch pad made out of non combustable 0.018 metal with no mention of air space between it and the floor and was going to build a 48 X48 pad for the floor with the above listed method.

Wall
2 X 3 metal studs scrwed to wall
1 layer of 5/8 dura rock
covered in tile

Does this sound workable safe and sane?
Dave

It sounds more than adequate. There's no need for the wall shield unless you are trying to reduce clearances. But there's no harm at all if you prefer to build in an extra margin of safety.

Yes am trying for the reduced clearances got the NFPA 211 specs from here, thank you very much!, and they match up perfectly with the ones in the Avalon manual for the stove. The metal studs on the wall seemed wat simpler than spacers and fishing them behind the dura rock with shorter screws to boot so easy to install for a 60 something guy and heavy material. I am hopeing the hearth will both absorb heat and then give it back besides insulating.
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.