Hearthston Heritage Front Door Glass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nayoung31

Mar 27, 2010
Northern Nj
We just installed a brand new Hearthstone Heritage Stove and are wondering about the front door glass.
After 2 break in lower temperature fires, the glass is dirty. Last night I tried to clean it with water and a paper towel and although some of the soot came off, some would just not come off.
Was hoping that a hot fire, which we have going today, (stove temp running about 400) the glass would clear up but it still seems
to be a bit dirty.
We had a Vermont Castings Intrepid II for 18 years and the glass would ususally clear up with a good fire within a short period of time so I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions or if I'm just impatient and the fire needs to be going longer with this bigger stove before the glass clears up.
Wood is dry, secondary burning is going on, and the temp is good.
Thanks!

Should clear up fine. Ours gets a little dark with a slow low fire, but soon as we crank it on high for 20-30 minutes, looks like new.

I share the same dilema. I also recently purchased a Hearthstone Heritage, replacing a 19 year old Vermont Castings Resolute Acclaim. If the Heritage is run at mediulm low air setting as recommended by the manufacturer, the lowwer left and right portions of the glass darken with soot. These DO NOT burn off with a hot fire. I simply clean them by taking a wet paper towel and dip it in the cool ashes of the firebox and rub it on the window. It removes all the build up. Unfortuneatly I have never experienced the stove self clean itself as advertized.

Thanks PeterJ, I'll try the ash thing when then stove cools off enough to do so.
How do you like the stove so far? Today is the first day we're using it after the "breakin" fires
and it's putting out some nice heat. Actually, it's almost too warm in the house because outside it's in the mid 40's.

Nancy, I am very pleased with the Heritage. I wanted a stove which would bring the fire "forward" to highlight maximum visibility of the dancing flames. The Heritage accomplishes this, although it becomes somewhat impaired by the soot build up on the glass. I also wanted a "softer" heat than what cast iron gives off since there were times in the past the Resolute blew us out of the room. The sopastone provides a much more even, gentle heat. I am waiting to see how it performs on a January evening at minus 25 in central Minnesota.

Hey, one more question, have you had it long enough for that new burn off smell to be gone?

I'm glad you like it, it's so different from the smaller stove I'm used to but like you said, it will be interesting to see how it does when it gets really cold outside again...although I think I can wait to find out as I'm ready now for warmer weather.

Yes, Nancy, the smell burned off after a couple of fires. It was very minor. I have learned you do need to have dry firewood for this stove or you will have difficulty reaching 400 plus degree burns. And it does take nearly two hours to reach that operating temperature.

Status
Not open for further replies.