Hearthstone Heritage LEAKS i think...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry Todd, I agree that the thermometers can change over time with use. Sounds like an oven calibration is in order just to be certain.

If you don't want to use the incense then try a punk. I'm not sure if that's a regional term but the fireworks stands always sold or gave away these incesnse looking sticks about the thickness of a pencil. The purpose of them was that you could light the punk on fire, blow it out, and then it would smolder for a loooooong time with enough of a cherry to light fuses on firecrackers.

I suppose you could use a cigarette too but that is more offensive to me than the incense.

Whatever you use will stink up the house a bit. I think smoke is important because the flame from a lighter is a jet flame and there are lots of air currents around a hot sucking stove.

Once again guys thanks for all the input. I have been trying to pay much closer attention today to what has been going on. Couple things to note:

I have been outside numerous times to check for smoke at the chimney. It smoked longer than what I thought it should have, but it did indeed stop smoking during its current burn "cycle" I did expect this, as I do try to look at the chimney whenever I am outside. Also leaving in the truck coming back etc...

I have 3 of the condor temp gauges that I can move around, and one probe in the flue. I moved the 3 around today and notice that they easily read off 100 deg. of each other (+/-), which I was not surprised at. I'm beginning to think that (even though I will still watch closely and trouble shoot this) that the last few days of burning I may have just had the right (wrong) set of conditions and thermo readings to russle my feathers about my stove temps.

Thanks for all the suggestions, and I will continue to watch for overfire!

Inspired by this thread I found a new "leak" in my heritage. Our secondary manifold is a two piece cast iron deal which sandwiches the ends of the burn tubes in place. Well that long seam has sprung a leak of combustion air that jets out behind the rearmost rube and shoots into the fire. The jet is about 3 inches log and has discolored the cast iron manifold in the vicinity.

Next time she cools down I will need to smear a little furnace cement on the seam.

Not a critical leak and not big enough to loose stove control but it is visible for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.