Hearthstone Heritage not producing enough heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I just found this thread. How's the stove heating now?
Was it the baffle like @DAKSY said?

(I have a long list of errors I made with my Heritage...if you're still
having issues, I can list them so you can check them against what
you're experiencing...)

Hi,I would LOVE to see that list, as there has been no change.......

I'm not sure at this point if it's my altitude, too short of a stack, being in a canyon with little wind, placement of my stove in a back corner with two walls and the floor to deal with, or just the design of this stove itself for my funky home and location with very thick walls that tend to suck most of the heat from a stove. Possibly a combo of ALL of the above!

If I was starting again, I would have gotten a GIGANTIC cast iron stove - the type that everyone warned me would "cook" me out of this place, (I wish!)......as I was told the Heritage might do - as I only have about 800 square feet of interior space (over 1200 exterior due to thick walls).......It is taking me HOURS of constant feeding small splits to get the stove to anywhere over 400, and I have never gotten it to 500......

You baffle is definitely missing the front support. It’s a stainless steel piece that is the width of the baffle.

Attachments

• 169758BB-E4BB-4F3E-A2FB-60F9F506434C.jpeg
    169758BB-E4BB-4F3E-A2FB-60F9F506434C.jpeg
    101.6 KB · Views: 569
Reactions: Highbeam
You baffle is definitely missing the front support. It’s a stainless steel piece that is the width of the baffle.

Seeing as though this stove came direct, wrapped from Hearthstone, how the heck is this possible? Is it possible Hearthstone has changed the way the baffle is mounted? Would this front support effect anyway the stove heats - or just hold the baffle in place......so many questions........my stove is currently hot, when it has cooled down this afternoon, I will study the baffle very carefully......if there are any others reading this thread with actual bona-fide info on this baffle, please chime in!!! Thank you!

ya...I'm not familiar with altitude/earth house issues...someone else may have to chime in on that....but
we have a stone house and the wood burner is sitting on concrete, they absorb heat like
crazy. Not much to be done about it though. The dogs just enjoy the heat release after
the fire goes out.

Anyway....when we first got it we couldn't figure out how to install the stove pipe so we hired
"professionals" who screwed it up. After 2 years of muddling along (no heat output and
loose inside pipe), we called a guy that
knew what he was doing. He took our stovepipe up through the ceiling to eliminate the
bend (I took the cover off the old hole for the photo), tightened it all up
and put enough chimney out on the roof to make the Russians worry about it being
a rocket launcher! I can't remember how many feet (more was added by the second guy)...but it's UP there!
Then he placed the thermometer where it is and
I generally have temps around 350-400 on the pipe. (I'm sorry but I honestly
don't know the 'stove top' temp--however, I have cooked on it before)
*it doesn't like to burn sitting on the stones inside--2" ash bed to start is best. I let them
build up so the hot coals last longer buried within.
*I quit using the ash pan and take my ash out the side door. I may be blowing smoke (pun intended)
but it just seemed to clog things up when I used the pan. It seems to breath better this way.
*The air adjustment slide likes to be set about 1/2 when in steady burn. I start it out 'full open'
and leave the side door ajar longer (20-30 minutes) than most folks do.
*definitely continue to keep the dog house clear...I didn't know about that part at the beginning and it
caused me all kinds of issues. As long as I can keep that clear, I leave as much ash in the bottom as
I can.
I had to learn that a wood burner is NOT the fireplace I used as a kid. We couldn't get too big of
a fire in the fireplace because of sparks, the chance of a burning log rolling out and fragile old brick chimney.
A woodburner is a closed unit and, as long as I get routine inspections/cleaning/use good sense, just let her do her thing.

IMG_20181117_132125.jpg IMG_20181117_125945.jpg IMG_20181117_125847.jpg
sorry they're so BIG!

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh crap!!! I've had a Heritage stove for about eight years now and when we first got it it ran great. Then I replaced the ceramic baffle about two or three seasons ago and I thought I had some lame wood. After reading this thread I see that my baffle support is laying down. I had a fire last night (about 30 degrees here then) and the fire barely got above 350. Now I see why! Hopefully positioning the baffle upright will bring my stove back to where it should be. I will check it tomorrow night as it's supposed to be back down to 30 or so. Thanks for posting that.

is your 350 degree temp on the stovepipe or on the top?

all fixed. There is a thumbnail option when posting pictures.

Seeing as though this stove came direct, wrapped from Hearthstone, how the heck is this possible? Is it possible Hearthstone has changed the way the baffle is mounted? Would this front support effect anyway the stove heats - or just hold the baffle in place......so many questions........my stove is currently hot, when it has cooled down this afternoon, I will study the baffle very carefully......if there are any others reading this thread with actual bona-fide info on this baffle, please chime in!!! Thank you!
Webby3650 sells and services Hearthstones. Here is a parts diagram. Part 101 is what appears to be missing. If you verify this is missing then one has to wonder what else is missing. Where did you buy the stove from?
Screen Shot 2018-11-17 at 12.10.25 PM.png

Webby3650 sells and services Hearthstones. Here is a parts diagram. Part 101 is what appears to be missing. If you verify this is missing then one has to wonder what else is missing. Where did you buy the stove from?
View attachment 233602

Hi, it doesn't appear I have that part 101 on my stove - another picture attached - showing their is an empty space on the front of the baffle where it looks like that part is supposed to me?

Can anyone else on this thread that is very familiar with the CURRENT Heathstone Heritage's baffle system, confirm that it is indeed missing this part?

I bought this stove brand new a few weeks ago, from a dealer in Northern NM - some might remember my thread complaining about the white lines - and now this, much more serious issue - not heating properly - don't want to mention the Dealers name to disparage them at this point, but it was wrapped brand new direct from Hearthstone.....

Attachments

• Hearthstonebaffle.JPG
    Hearthstonebaffle.JPG
    187.9 KB · Views: 532
Hi, it doesn't appear I have that part 101 on my stove...Can anyone else on this thread that is very familiar with the CURRENT Heathstone Heritage's baffle system, confirm that it is indeed missing this part?
I asked earlier about the model number of your stove; That diagram is for the 8022, do you have the 8023? But I assume that the pic webby posted was taken at his shop, of a current model they have on the floor..?

I asked earlier about the model number of your stove; That diagram is for the 8022, do you have the 8023? But I assume that the pic webby posted was taken at his shop, of a current model they have on the floor..?

Hi, I just checked - and my stove is the 8023........

Pretty crazy that the entire part is missing....I'd understand if it was out of place or something. I hope you can get this resolved quickly!

Can anyone else on this thread that is very familiar with the CURRENT Heathstone Heritage's baffle system, confirm that it is indeed missing this part?
I’m not sure why you don’t think I’m familiar with the stove, or that the pic is from a current model?
Every Hearthstone I’ve had my hands on has a SS piece up front to protect their flimsy baffle. It also has a raised section in the middle that diverts smoke and heat to the sides, preventing it from going straight up the flue. Could make a difference, how much? I don’t know? Seems to be a lot of people looking for more heat out of a stove that’s know for “soft” heat...

Thank you for all the baffle info...I believe mine is busted!? picture is both left and right side....
@webby3650 is this something I could replace myself or should I find a serviceman?

IMG_20181118_085619.jpg IMG_20181118_085611.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you for all the baffle info...I believe mine is busted!? picture is both left and right side....
@webby3650 is this something I could replace myself or should I find a serviceman?

View attachment 233654 View attachment 233655

Yep, it’s busted. It’s a simple job to replace it and should cost under 100$ for the new one. I removed the baffle annually to sweep my vertical chimney. It comes right out after you remove the cotter pins and that front steel bracket.

Yep, it’s busted. It’s a simple job to replace it and should cost under 100$ for the new one. I removed the baffle annually to sweep my vertical chimney. It comes right out after you remove the cotter pins and that front steel bracket.

Okey dokey!
:)

The Baffle appears to be just fine - picture attached!
After a closer look, it appears the entire baffle assembly is out of place. It should sit down over the rear air manifold and bolt through it. Looks to be sitting on top of it.

After a closer look, it appears the entire baffle assembly is out of place. It should sit down over the rear air manifold and bolt through it. Looks to be sitting on top of it.
Hi,

I sent the pic directly to Hearthstone, they kindly responded quickly, and they tell me, things have changed on the latest Heritage, and my baffle is fine, there is no longer the front support as on the older ones - they believe it's a draft issue, and I'm going to extend my pipe higher, and see if this helps. I remeasured my pipe today, and I was off by 2 feet - I'm about 14 feet from top of stove to top of chimney.

Reactions: ispinwool
Hi,

I sent the pic directly to Hearthstone, they kindly responded quickly, and they tell me, things have changed on the latest Heritage, and my baffle is fine, there is no longer the front support as on the older ones - they believe it's a draft issue, and I'm going to extend my pipe higher, and see if this helps. I remeasured my pipe today, and I was off by 2 feet - I'm about 14 feet from top of stove to top of chimney.
You’re right. I just opened up one in the warehouse to see. They’ve really cheapened it up. It’s a shame.

You’re right. I just opened up one in the warehouse to see. They’ve really cheapened it up. It’s a shame.
What other differences did you notice?

They’ve done something different with the channel that the manifold draws it’s air from. Can’t tell what though. I didn’t uncrate it to look closer.
That baffle is such a fragile design, I hate that they would leave it even more vulnerable than it was. Their baffle designs have always been a pain to work on or replace anyway. On some you’ve got to cut the new one in half and put it back in in 2 pieces. Talk about hokey...<>

Reactions: Woody Stover
They’ve done something different with the channel that the manifold draws it’s air from. Can’t tell what though. I didn’t uncrate it to look closer.
That baffle is such a fragile design, I hate that they would leave it even more vulnerable than it was. Their baffle designs have always been a pain to work on or replace anyway. On some you’ve got to cut the new one in half and put it back in in 2 pieces. Talk about hokey...<>

Regarding the Heritage baffle - do you advise taking it off for chimney sweeping? Any way I could just measure carefully and try to not break the baffle? Or how difficult is it to temporarily remove it? Of course, things might be different with this new baffle. All my smoldering fires I have been struggling with the past month have already built up creosote in my pipe......I have to go 14' straight down.

Regarding the Heritage baffle - do you advise taking it off for chimney sweeping? Any way I could just measure carefully and try to not break the baffle? Or how difficult is it to temporarily remove it? Of course, things might be different with this new baffle. All my smoldering fires I have been struggling with the past month have already built up creosote in my pipe......I have to go 14' straight down.
You can usually feel when the brush clears the flue collar. Just be careful.
One issue I’ve had dropping the baffle to clean is that it doesn’t sit all the way down flat. You’ve got to remove the air channel in the back, when you sweep it all the crap fills the in coming air channel for the secondary air. Hopefully they’ve done something to prevent this from happening.

Interesting thread.

I found my baffle support had simply fallen back and was laying on top of the baffle. Most likely my fault when I replaced the baffle, and apparently it's been laying down for about two years... I put it back in place and it really didn't make a difference in the burn, so I'm thinking my wood might not be quite dry enough. I obtained a moisture meter and have seen levels of mostly between 15 and twenty percent (Oak) so I think my wood could be a bit dryer. I do have some other wood that has been sitting for about two years but was too big to fit in the stove, so I guess I'll cut/split that and try again.