Hearthstone Homestead 8570 running too hot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

badrum

Jul 14, 2015
Canada
I just had a new a Hearthstone Homestead 8570 wood stove professionally installed. I have limited experience running a wood stove, but know my basics. At the moment I seem to be having a very difficult time getting the stove to settle down and burn at a lower temperature. Every fire I light takes off and seem be unaffected by the damper control on the side of the stove. I have a Stonegard Thermometer on the center stone and it's reaching over 500F with the damper completely closed, and only seems to settle down once all the wood is coal. The odd thing I have noted and can't seem to find any information about; is that I can see into the firebox at 2 gaps on either side of the door, where the soapstone has a chamfers and meets the door frame. See attached picture. Is this normal? Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0199.jpg
    IMG_0199.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 372
How tall is the chimney liner on the stove? What species of wood are you burning?

That little gap may need to be sealed with a dab of black RTV silicone. With your next fire, try turning down the air much sooner. Turn it down in increments as soon as the wood is starting to burn well. Try turning it down until the flames get lazy, but not to the point where they go out. Wait 5-10 minutes for the fire to regain strength, then turn it down again until the flames get lazy again and repeat.

I'm in New Brunswick, so the wood I'm burning is a mix of maple, beech, and yellow birch. The chimney liner is roughly 20ft. I'll work on your points about adjusting the damper sooner.

That all sounds good. There's a learning curve with a new stove. See if closing down the air sooner helps. What you are doing is slowing down the rate of outgassing which reduces and lengthens the bloom of wood gases that happens as it is heated.

Make absolutely sure the ashpan is pushed all the way in. It will slide in easily, once it stops it requires a solid push to seat it fully. This pan is just a pressure fit, so being seated completely is just as important as the gasket. Make sure the ashdump dial is also in the closed position.

Reactions: begreen
I double check ashpan, and ashdump before each fire. The fire I am currently running seems to be under control now. I am noticing it seems to settle down and become controllable once a coal bed is established.
I am mainly concerned about the gaps around the door, and whether that is effecting my ability to control the burn rate. As these are installer issues that I should have them resolve.
However I might just be a noob, and need some direction. Being a bit more careful with the damper is seeming to pay off at the moment.

I just opened the picture. That’s no good! The fit and finish has really been bad for a while now on hearthstones. Definitely get the dealer involved with this one. Where else is it not sealed well? That’s what I’d want to know.

Ok thats what I am worried about. I'll be getting in touch with the dealer on Monday for sure. I've asked 3 people so far and everyone has said it shouldn't be like that. Definitely makes me concerned about other build quality issues. I'm a mechanical designer, so the possibilities don't make me happy. I have 2 young kids, and a wife . . . sigh.

Last edited:
Ok thats what I am worried about. I'll be getting in touch with the dealer on Monday for sure. I've asked 3 people so far and everyone has said it shouldn't be like that. Definitely makes me concerned about other build quality issues. I'm a mechanical designer, so the possibilities don't make me happy. I have 2 young kids, and a wife . . . sigh.
Good luck

right off the bat when I read that there were gaps between the stove and door I said Whoa, that's no good. I'm sure that why your fire is out of control

right off the bat when I read that there were gaps between the stove and door I said Whoa, that's no good. I'm sure that why your fire is out of control
Well, maybe. There may be more gaps than are noticeable. Are you sure the ashpan gasket is sealing good? Try using larger pieces of wood and shutting the air down much sooner.