Hearthstone top stone no longer flush

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

waybur

Hearth Supporter
Dec 7, 2009
:) I ahve been reading this forum for the past couple of months, but this is my first post.

I recently installed a new Hearthstone Heritage wood stove. I have been quite careful to follow all the guide lines in the manual regarding temperature and break in. I have run the stove just the past two weekends while I have been home to monitor the stove and learn how to run it properly. I have not loaded the stove and left it unattended or gone to bed or let the temp get over 525F. The 525F was for a short period while charing a new load of wood and cleaning the front door glass.

This morning I noticed that the top front stone was no longer flush witht the left front stone. It sits about 1/16" or so higher than the one next to it. I know these beveled stones have slots in them that fit up with s.steel splines which are then cemented on assembly. Has anyone else had this problem and if so what was the outcome or the remedy. I am sure the cement bond is broken and the build up of cement on the inside bevel is most likely falling out. My dealer is not opened today and I would like to get a heads up on this potential issue. Other than that I lke the soapstone performance after many years of woodburning with other stoves and inserts.

Wayno

I'm not entirely certain that those top stones are splined together. The top stones are special in that they are supported by a cast iron skeleton and they can easily be set like a tile floor. Mine are still level across the top after a cord count in the teens. 1/16" isn't much but if you know that it was perfect before then you might want to feel for looseness of that stone.

Thanks for your input and you might be right about the top stones not being splined. I know the side, front and back stones are, but the top could be diferent. My dealer is open tomorrow and I will enquire with him. I am concerned over the newness of the stove and the closely monitored running that I have done over two week ends. It should be fully cool when I get home tonight and I will check it for loosness. I don't want to make a big deal over a non issue, but at a minimum the refractory cement in the joint is no longer doing its job. I will be sure to post any updates regarding this issue

1/16"?! Is it possible that the iron (or other material) swells during use? How'd you even notice?

S

I looked last night and my leftmost top stone sets slightly, very slightly like 1/32", above the center stone. I'm thinking that the left stone is the last one to be dropped into place and they can't wiggle it down into the cement as well as the rest. I've set tile floors and the last tile is the hardest.

I talked with my very knowledgeable dealer (Green Mountian Stove Company, New Hartford CT) today and he said I had a very discriminating eye, but he had never had any problem with stone popping up. I did a straight edge and feeler gage measure and the stone is between .045 - .050 higher at the highest point. The dealer explained how the top casting latice supports the stones with a bead of cement between the stones and the casting. He also confirmed they use the stainless steel splines on the top stones.

His thought was not to worry about it, but was more that wiling to take care of the problem if I could not live with it. He told me to give it the grill lighter test to see if any air was leaking into the stove from the gap around the stone. He also offer to send me a tube of Hearthstone cement to fill in the small gap below the top bevel, but I am going to run it awild and see what happens. I might be too fussy, but do not remember any noticable height diference prior to this week. I know the bevels are there to hide any obvious mismatch. The stone is tight so I will just monitor it both hot and cold and not worry about it at this point.

Jerry, the owner at Green Mt. told me his warranty doesn't end after 1 year. He has been in business for 30 years, has the best prices in New England by a bunch and is knowledgable, honnest and I will take his advise and continue to run it. Sure is a niced stove and I like the heat soak and extended heat disipation for warm mornings.

Sounds like you found a great dealer, we still love our stone stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.