Hearthstone vs Regency Wood Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

amgbrews

Oct 12, 2020
Garden State
Hi All,

New to the Hearth but experienced wood burner. My previous home had a Regency insert (I1150, I think?) that I used for several years without issue. I've since moved to a mid-century split-level(tri-level) home and have masonry fireplaces in the downstairs family room and main floor living area. The house is ~3K Sq ft w/ bedrooms above the lower family room. I plan to install an insert in the lower family room first since I think we will spend the most chill time in this area of the house (~650 SQ FT).

Local dealer recommended Regency, Hearthstone, or Lopi. I'm still doing my homework but I've got two models on my research list - Regency i2500 and Hearthstone GMi70. I have to re-measure for confirmation but it looks like most of the Lopi models may be too deep.

I guess I'm looking to see if anyone has experience with either of these models or brand preference. What should I be looking for besides what fits? Any feedback/recommendationsn would be great!

I have the i2400. The older version without the cat that the 2500 has. Only had it a year, but so far love it. Regency has a great warranty. Not sure what the other stoves have.

I just installed the regency 2700. I know its not quite the same model as it's epa2020 but I have to put my two cents in saying I love it. Super hot, long burns and a decent blower to move the air

I'm tossing up between the Regency 2400 & the GMi70. I can't seem to find much info on the Hearthstone, it must be a relatively new model. Can anyone provide any input?

Thanks!

I have a freestanding Hearthstone Heritage. All I can say is, the soapstone provides the nicest, warmest heat I've ever gotten out of a wood stove. I love that thing.

This is for an insert. The Regency has the more time-proven tech, but the Hearthstone has respectable specs and may end up being a winner. At this point, it's too early to tell.

My wife had been forgetting to close the damper and bypass after loading up the box. Can this damage the insert or will it just waste wood?

It's possible depending on the temperatures reached. This also could be hard on the flue system due to high temps in the connector.

This is for an insert. The Regency has the more time-proven tech, but the Hearthstone has respectable specs and may end up being a winner. At this point, it's too early to tell.

This is why I'm having such a hard time making this decision. The wife prefers the look of the Hearthstone but the proven Regency comes in closer to budget.

If it's any help, the comments so far for the new Green Mountain stoves have been positive. For an alternative have you looked at the Hampton HI 2450? It's the Regency 2450 with a fancy face.

I know what you mean about it being a tough decision. It took me over 2 months to make up my mind. I finally decided on the Lopi Large Flush insert, which was just installed yesterday. I love the look of it! But I can't comment on performance, since we've been in the upper 70's for almost 2 weeks now in central VA.