Heat n Glo Mezzo 48 too hot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

wwpayne

Dec 13, 2020
Pittsburgh
Hi all,
I have a Mezzo 48 gas fireplace and its surrounded by stacked stone. The fireplace exhaust is 8 inch pipe out through cinder block basement wall with snorkel kit into a hand dug well. My problem is this fireplace radiates way too much heat for the basement. Id like to add a tv above it as well at some point.
My plan was to add a heat n glo heat out kit, which is essentially a fan and 6 inch flex pipe to fireplace shell and discharge heat outside., I dont want the heat in the house or another room. The fireplace is aesthetics only pretty much. My question is to you think its ok to discharge this heat into an unused chimney? it was built with house and never used and happens to be an pre built access door right behind fireplace.
Appreciate any thoughts.

If you can be absolutely sure that your unused chimney will
NOT allow ANY exhaust gases back into your home, I see
nothing wrong with what you want to do. In fact, once the
draft starts working in the chimney, you can probably
shut the blower down & let the natural convection remove
the unwanted heat. I would suggest fabricating
a temporary heat out to see if it will actually do what you want it to.
You might be disappointed if you spend the money on the kit
only to find out that it doesn't work.