Heat Shield

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brogsie

Feeling the Heat
Dec 19, 2007
eastern MA
I have a VC Defiant Cat installed into a masonry fireplace.
My stove came w/a rear heat shield. I did not put it on as I had the clearances to the masonry.
If I put it on would it throw more heat into the room? Keep the masonry from absorbing the heat?
Thanks

Yes, I think it would help. Do you have a block off plate where the old fireplace damper was?

Hi Todd,

Thanks for your opinion. Yes I do have a blockoff plate.
The stove heats my house fine (only 750 sq ft) but was thinking
maybe I would use less wood. Just finished installing a ceiling fan on my
cathedral ceiling. Should help, it was real hot at the peak.

I'd have expected the Defiant to drive you out of the house with only 750 sq ft. The fan should make a nice difference. Try it in reverse, blowing upward for a while.

How are the insulation, caulking and windows in the home? If poor that can be a good way to decrease wood consumption.

Hi Green,

The house is a small cottage near the ocean. Windows and insulation
are OK. But it's on a crawl space so the floor can be cold and drafty.
We only use it on the weekends in the winter, so we are starting at 40 deg.
when we get there. The stove once it gets going has no problem keeping the house
72-75. I'm just tweeking things trying to get the best heat. I enjoy reading your posts.

OK, that makes more sense. Bringing it up from 40 degrees requires brute force and the Defiant has that.

If the masonary fireplace is on an outside wall, I 'd say the rear heat shield would help your efficiency.

Status
Not open for further replies.