Hello

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fahrvegnugen

Oct 9, 2015
Vermont
I'm new and so pleased with this that I thought I'd introduce myself. I bought all the materials for my project from the local stove shop. I didn't get it inspected by any pros but I just cleaned the chimney after the first year and had the first fire of the year and it's still working great. I was kept courageous through this excellent site. Putting on the top of the chimney was terrifying! I did get about a yogurt containers worth of creosote everywhere, which was surprising considering how clean it burned. I have to say the excel pipe was worth it, I had the twist on kind at my house and wasn't sure what I needed so I returned it. The stove shop service ensured I had what I needed, and the pipe was lighter and seemed easier to put together.

IMG_1037.JPGIMG_0791.JPGIMG_0786.JPGIMG_1017.JPGIMG_0989.JPGIMG_1033.JPG

Last edited:
I like the old vw slogan username. I owned a vw when it was popular.

How did you do the top? No way I could see myself up there:eek:

I like the old vw slogan username. I owned a vw when it was popular.
That name always reminded me of a cookie and made me hungry.

Install looks great. Nice job.

I still have a vw :confused:. I went from a '79 rabbit td (smoking black biodiesel) to a '12 golf tdi (smoking invisible nox). Figure I'm stuck with it so I'll keep fahrvegnugen. Have a Pfeffernüsse !

To do the top I got a couple of roof braces to hold a board, and used that as staging. It was so steep I had to go get another level of staging, higher up the roof, for connecting the top and bottom of the chimney. I put the top of the pipe together and it was so tall it made me top heavy. I decided while balancing it and myself on the slope to risk it all, and it went on but I don't think I'll do that again!

I have cement board that I'm hoping to replace with copper shielding soon. The pipe going through the second story didn't get a chimney chase, and I'm debating whether I want one. I cleaned the pipe from inside, and afterward I noticed the high heat silicon seal around the pipe and flashing outside was letting water in. If I had the chimney chase I wouldn't have noticed. I wonder if that seal needs to be sealed every year.

Done correctly there should be no leakage at the flashing. Is there a storm collar over the flashing? That's what gets a bead of silicone. I have always used plain GE Silicone II. It seems to bond well to metal. Also works great for liner top caps.

Last edited:
Done correctly there should be no leakage at the flashing. Is there a storm collar over the flashing? That's what gets a bead of silicone. I have always used plain GE Silicone II. It seems to bond well.

Oh yes I put it on the storm collar now that you mention it. I suspected my cleaning activity might have jostled it enough to crack it. I just put some more over the old seal, I have a feeling I should've removed the old stuff, but that would've involved climbing around up there. So far it isn't leaking anymore. I used this rtf red silicon stuff, it was $19 for a tube of it, fortunately the tube was still good. I'll keep GE Silicone II in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.