HELP...having a hard time connecting Jotul flue collar to...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smokinokie

Dec 19, 2010
OKC Ok
my 6" Supervent double wall stove pipe.

The outer wall of the stove pipe is not big enough to slip over the outer dimension of the cast iron flue collar, which is tapered (thicker at bottom where it rests on top of stove). The outer wall pretty much just butts into the outer dimension of the flue collar.

I am pretty sure that the crimped inner male part of the stove pipe will slip inside of the inner dimension of the flue collar, but I can't be certain because the outer wall won't slide down over the outside of the flue collar.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

My only solution is to cut 1 to 2 inch vertical slits into the end of the outer wall of the stove pipe so that I can flare it out (like a slitted skirt) and then maybe it will slide down over the flue collar (with the inner male part going down into the flue collar like it should).

Is that a crazy idea or has it been done before?

I have read everything that Jotul provided with my new stove as far as installation instructions go and there is absolutely nothing helpful at all.

Also there is a shoestring-like gasket that Jotul provided which is supposed to go (I think, the instructions are woefully vague) around the male end of the stovepipe and then form a seal with the inner wall of the flue collar.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Yep, had the exact same problem with the same stove and pipe. I cut about 2" off of the outer wall so the inner would slip into the collar and the outer would then rest on the top of the collar.

I bought the adapter but with the Oslo, it still didn't fit very well so I returned it.

I talked to a nice lady at Selkirk tech support and she said she had encountered this problem many times.

She said that it was OK to cut slits or just trim away the outer wall so that the inner male piece can slip inside the flue outlet.

She suggested that I could then cover it (for cosmetic purposes) with an extra band identical to the one that covers the mating of the top of the telescoping stove pipe and the chimney adaptor.

My concern now is that after measuring the inside of the flue outlet and the diameter of the male end of the stove pipe, the male end is about 1/2 inch smaller which means it will be ~very~ loosely mated.

Wendell did simply cutting away the outer wall work for you? Did you find that the male end was too loose inside the collar?

As I recall, it was a smidgen loose but certainly not 1/2". What I did just before I dropped it the last 1/4" down into place was to run a bead of furnace cement to help fill the little gap that was there.

Status
Not open for further replies.