Help Identifying an Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bladecatcher

Sep 20, 2013
Pictures below.

We moved into our home a year and a half ago. I used the stove a bit last year for supplemental heat, but plan on using it a lot more this year. Trying to learn more about this insert (as well as burning wood in general), but I have no clue what make/model it is. I don't even know if it's catalytic or not...

I have no idea how old it is (house was built in 1969) and I can't find any markings on it at anywhere. Does anyone know what it might be?

232323232%7Ffp543%3B3%3Enu%3D3277%3E%3B%3B6%3E2%3B%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D39543%3B548%3B32%3Cnu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv6866%3Dot%3E2368%3D%3C%3A7%3D3%3A%3B%3DXROQDF%3E2%3A452%3C948%3C23%3Bot1lsi

Thanks in advance for any help!

Welcome. Does the stove have a baffle? Secondary tubes?

Here are a couple more pictures.

Upon closer inspection, the ceiling of the fire box has two light, removable shelves. One on the left, one on the right. Maybe fiberglass? Above that is about a 4" gap and the hole for the exhaust pipe. I'm guessing that there is no catalyst in this stove. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

Ceiling:
232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv33%3B5%3Dot%3E2368%3D%3C%3A7%3D3%3A%3B%3DXROQDF%3E2%3A4537%3B59%3A23%3Bot1lsi

Top of insert:
232323232%7Ffp54385%3Enu%3D3277%3E%3B%3B6%3E2%3B%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D395446%3C4%3A%3A32%3Cnu0mrj

Non-catalytic is fine. As I suspected, this is a relatively new (post-EPA) stove.

it looks like many on the market, but the difference is that this has those vents and fans (??) behind the side panels, whereas most of the brands I think it might be do not.

That means it's either an older model or different brand. Some of these companies have had different models every couple of years.

Until someone recognizes that fan setup, I still have to guess the brand is

Century
or
Haughs (bought by Century - VC - I think)
or US Stove.

I've been through thousands of pictures on the Googles and can't find one that is even close.

I've had both sides off and I can't find a single marking to even give me a place to start.

Regarding the exhaust connect - do you think it may be installed incorrectly? It's tight and doesn't show any signs of leaking in the past.

I do believe that you are correct about the make and model. I've learned more in two days in this forum than I thought possible!

The flat metal piece says "Simpson Dura Vent Flat Stove Connector" on it. Maybe it was put place as part of the SS liner system?

It shouldn't need that, the appliance connector should go into the flu collar, those crimped edges should be inside the collar so that any creosote that drips down would go back into the stove, not on top.

I would call a local pro chimney sweep to come and review this setup and clean the liner, hopefully it is a full run to the top.

Measure that pipe, the only thing I can think of is that is an 8" liner and they used that flat top to connect it over top the 6" collar.

+1
That's a Napoleon door.

Looks like a Duraliner stove adapter, and like mine, it does not reach the flat plate flat to the top of the stove. I cut the plate off and just used the collar portion. And actually the crimps do go on the outside on the Duraliner, there is another inner flange on the insider of the liner that slips over the inside of the collar.
The tape should not be there. Take that off and see what is going on under there. You should try and get at least 3 screws through the liner and collar into the stove outlet if it is not screwed already.

Hey, nice stone work around it...

Does someone expect to throw a match on that split of wood and have a fire? :)

y2e7ymy9.jpg

Oops old post. Damn people revising old posts for chit reasons

Oops. Not sure why that was on my top list. Strange. Sorry. Oops.

Status
Not open for further replies.