Help identifying old stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ekimdoog

Aug 30, 2013
Maine
woodstove2.jpg Buying a camp in northern Maine and wanted to know something about the stove that comes with it. Does anyone know:

who made it?
is it safe/a good stove?
it appears to be a top load only with a loading port and two smaller air vents on either side.

What is the round pipe/device sticking out of the left side used for?

sorry the picture isn't the best

thanks, mike

Slightly improved picture. It looks like a portable camp cookstove.

woodstove2.jpg

As for safety I have no idea of the integrity of the stove, but the issue may be more with the flue. The color of that connector says overfire. No idea about the thimble, but it looks suspect too.

Mike - I think you might also want to review the clearance to combustibles for that setup. I am seeing a couple of potential problems that should be corrected before use.

It wouldn't hurt to get a set of professional eyes (chimney sweep) to inspect the stove and stack for integrity. BG and his eagle eyes caught the sure signs of an overfire on your connector pipe. That doesn't mean it is broke, just that you may want to take a good hard look at everything before you proceed.

I have every intention to replace all chimney components.
The stove itself is very solid and sturdy, no rust or decay of any kind.
Opinions of having only top-load function?
Maybe some smoke inside cabin, but no risk of embers/logs falling out onto floor when opening.
Others?
Anyone know from the pic what make/model?

top loaders don't smoke if the chimney is functioning properly. makes loading pretty easy, but start ups are a bit tougher if you have to load kindling/paper in from the top

pick isn't clear enough for an ID, and it may not be a well know maker/etc

Status
Not open for further replies.