Help Identifying Yellowish Stringy Wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Thanks for the help everyone. Went out today and got some more, very nice rounds.

Black locust, great wood. What’s going on with the cut in pic #2?

Kinda looks like the notch is on the other side from where the pic is taken, can’t really tell. I assume it is since it fell that way, just looks odd?

As most everyone else has said its black locust, I burn a ton of it best wood there is. the way the grain is that tight from that middle pic on your last post definitely not cotton wood. Take it all and once seasoned you will see, great heat maker!

Reactions: D8Chumley
I believe it to be BL. Definitely NOT cottonwood. I've noticed that BL seems to grow in "groves". I generally don't see a solitary BL. If they took down several of these in close proximity, that's another clue.

Reactions: Lakeside
I believe it to be BL. Definitely NOT cottonwood. I've noticed that BL seems to grow in "groves". I generally don't see a solitary BL. If they took down several of these in close proximity, that's another clue.

Yep, Honey Locust grows the same way in groves. Seeds apparently don't go far from the tree. Watch put for those thorns though!

Reactions: Soundchasm