Help! I'm paranoid about burning down the cabin

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guntherstu

Feb 18, 2016
Michigan
Hi all,
I'm just looking for some advice/ input here. I'm currently redoing the floor in my family's one room cabin in the woods and am a little puzzled as to what I will need to put down under the wood stove. Before I tore everything up the stove sat on a large metal tray, on top of the old tile flooring. Now that I have removed all of the carpet and cracked tile, I'm left with particle board, which I intend to put vinyl over. My question is: what should I do with the stove area now? The stove is old and basic( square box with a damper on the door and flue), but all my researching has gotten me paranoid about insulation and r values and whatnot. obviously I'll need something on top of the particle board.. How crazy do I need to get with this?

I am assuming your stove does NOT have a rating plate.
If it doesn't, here is the info from NFPA-211:

Residential-type solid fuel-burning appliances that
are tested and listed by a recognized testing laboratory for
installation on floors constructed of combustible materials
shall be placed on floors in accordance with the requirements
of the listing and the conditions of approval.
Appliances that are not listed by a recognized testing
laboratory shall be provided with floor protection in accordance
with the provisions of 12.5.1.2 or 12.5.1.3.
Residential-type solid fuel-burning appliances
shall be permitted to be placed without floor protection in any
of the following manners:
(1) On concrete bases adequately supported on compacted
soil, crushed rock, or gravel
(2) On concrete slabs or masonry arches that do not have
combustible materials attached to the underside
(3) On approved assemblies constructed of only noncombustible
materials and having a fire resistance rating of not
less than 2 hours, with floors constructed of noncombustible
material
(4) On properly stabilized ground that can support the load
of the appliance
Any floor assembly, slab, or arch shall extend not
less than 18 in. (457 mm) beyond the appliance on all sides.
In lieu of the requirements for floor protection
specified herein, a floor protector listed by a recognized testing
laboratory and installed in accordance with the installation
instructions shall be permitted to be employed.
Concrete bases, concrete slabs, masonry arches,
and floor-ceiling assemblies and their supports shall be designed
and constructed to support the appliances.

The hearth requirement depends on the stove and the height of its legs. We have some documentation for some old stoves in the Wiki section that may list hearth requirements. Is there a UL label on the back of the stove that identifies it? If not, what is the leg height and can you post a picture of the stove?

If those standards are clear to you perfect (because I don't understand all of that ...) I would suggest using a durarock type base. one layer of half inch should suffice. That is all I have ever used under my stoves for past 10 years. I have run new and old stoves on that, is it up to code, maybe..

If you want you can also create a raised hearth put two layers of dura rock on it and vent holes in the base to allow cool room air to circulate under it to keep it cool. just make sure that the pad you make is larger than the stove in all directions.

More of a concern too would be how close to combustibles are the sides of the stove, non UL listed stoves with out heat shields on the stoves themselves require 36" min clearance. A combustible is considered anything basically that could ignite, sheet rock 2x4s etc. Again Dura rock will resolve that clearance. hang durarock behind the stove anywhere it is with in 36 inches to the stove leave a 1 inch (1 1/2 inch would be over kill but better to me) air gap behind the dura rock and the edge to allow cool air to circulate behind it. Then your clearance to combustibles is reduced from 36 inches to 12 inches.

Heat radiates out and up more than down, so keep an eye on the sides of the stove too.

I have run new and old stoves on that, is it up to code, maybe..

Big maybe. One sheet of Durock NexGen is only R = .39. Many older stoves require more, especially if the legs are <6". A ventilated air space under the floor is nice, but unless the supports are non-combustible, the protection is to the nearest combustible which would be the wooden joists if used.

well in that case ignore what I said then regarding the base. ....

Status
Not open for further replies.