Biomass40 Posted By Biomass40, Dec 1, 2018 at 7:49 PM

1. Biomass40

Biomass40
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 13, 2018
    Loc:
    Michigan
    Have a biomass 40 , cleaned it all out before burning and cant keep smoke from leaking from the door. Replaced seal on the door and still leaks. What can i do to stop it ?

2. velvetfoot

velvetfoot
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 5, 2005
    Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    Is it being started from stone cold? Maybe there was a downdraft that has to be overcome, like with newspaper?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Biomass40

Biomass40
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 13, 2018
    Loc:
    Michigan
    Yes it was a cold start. But didnt start leaking right away.

4. maple1

maple1
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 15, 2011
    Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    Pretty scant info here.

Chimney situation? New install? Or old one with new issue? Wrong seal type or didnt get done right?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Biomass40

Biomass40
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 13, 2018
    Loc:
    Michigan
    Old chimney new issue , seals done right

6. maple1

maple1
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 15, 2011
    Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    Just seems like if an issue started with a change, the change is primary suspect. If all else is truly unchanged.

Boiler and chimney all completely & thoroughly clean? (Including all internal air passages). Difference in wood? (Wet?)

Thinking that even if something else is going on, say a dirty chimney or cap cutting down chimney draft, the door seals still shouldn't allow a leak if they are solid & proper. Door need adjusting to fit new seal job?

7. Biomass40

Biomass40
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 13, 2018
    Loc:
    Michigan

I have cleaned boiler to best of what i know to. Chimney is clean. I have have been burning wood for 3 years now in boiler and there has only been one othe time this happened but it stop within minutes. I do not have a cap on chimney. Will this make a difference?

8. salecker

salecker
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 22, 2010
    Loc:
    Northern Canada
    Started my boiler yesterday for the first time this year...been busy in the last month and the temps have been warm for us.
    The top door had smoke pouring out after i lit it off.Added some tin as a shim to the top door and it quit,next time i closed it after filling the smoke was very little.
    Can you adjust the hinges on your door?A little more pressure may fix it.