Help me make up my mind

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

btuser

Minister of Fire
Jan 15, 2009
Principality of Pontinha
Here's the scenario:

2 cord red oak.
30' from where I'd have to park my truck.
No brush, just bucked logs stacked and pretty.
4 miles from my house.

I've got ten more trees on my own property to cut, and I'm already 3 years ahead so I don't need the wood.

if you have the time go for it if not take a break man!!!
sounds like your way ahead of the game

Damn.... thats a tough call. On the one hand,its great wood with no cleanup but with some distance to carry it.On the other,you have plenty of work backlogged to keep you busy at home for a while...

Is that 30 ft from your truck a steep incline or driveway and do you have a sturdy contractor's wheelbarrow?

I always tend to collect wood from further afield first, and try to hold my own trees in reserve....... your own 10 trees can grow a bit more...

You can guess my thoughts on it :)

woodchip said:
I always tend to collect wood from further afield first, and try to hold my own trees in reserve....... your own 10 trees can grow a bit more...

You can guess my thoughts on it :)

Yeah, but the trees I'm trying to cut are dying, and shading the lawn + other trees. But the whole-wheat side of me says burn somebody else's wood!

The time to bluff is when you've got nothing to lose so I've made up my mind: I'm going to ask for drinks + snacks.

I really don't see what there is to debate. The only question is, do you have a wheelbarrow?

I have at least a dozen tree's here that need to come down. I keep waiting since they store better in the up right position than c/s/s. I say grab the oak if the tree's on your property aren't falling down.

I think you should let it rot Hoss.

I don't go to other peoples property. I got plenty on my own land but I'm not 3 years ahead yet maybe after this spring.

I have much more than enough wood on our own place but if I was offered 2 cord of red oak like that, I'd be hauling fast! 30' is not that far. 10 yards. Just step it off and you'll see how short of a distance it is. If 30 yards, then a wheelbarrow or cart would be in order. But 2 cord of red oak will give lots and lots of heat!

Seems like in 3 yrs that Red Oak would be seasoned to perfection.

2 cords of bucked red oak and all you have to do is transport it home? And your wasting time posting here? C'mon man get to it!

I will come and help. Seriously!

Forrest

Get it done one truck load at a time. Ask a buddy to help!
Do not pass it up.

Got Wood said:
2 cords of bucked red oak and all you have to do is transport it home? And your wasting time posting here? C'mon man get to it!

DITTO

You're not sure you want to carry wood 30 feet? I can't recall carrying any of mine any less. I'd be over there this morning.

btuser said:
Here's the scenario:

2 cord red oak.
30' from where I'd have to park my truck.
No brush, just bucked logs stacked and pretty.
4 miles from my house.

I've got ten more trees on my own property to cut, and I'm already 3 years ahead so I don't need the wood.
Good thing your 3 yrs ahead. The oak will need that long to be ready for the stove!

Depending on your pikcup truck thats about 3 or 4 loads, and not a far carry.
Its free and bucked, and waiting.
I would already be there if i was you.
If you want to drop your own trees to, go for it, cannot ever really be too far ahead on firewood.

Personally I would love to be a decade or more ahead on wood, then no worries if i say got sick, or had less time to haul it in the future etc.
Right now I only have about 6 years bucked and piled in the old barn, and maybe another 3 years still in full log length laying in the yard, buried under snow.
Come spring will cut and pile the rest in the barn to, and this summer will get another load dropped off to work away on as I want.

Mcbride said:
If you want to drop your own trees to, go for it, cannot ever really be too far ahead on firewood.

Personally I would love to be a decade or more ahead on wood, then no worries if i say got sick, or had less time to haul it in the future etc.
Right now I only have about 6 years bucked and piled in the old barn, and maybe another 3 years still in full log length laying in the yard, buried under snow.
Come spring will cut and pile the rest in the barn to, and this summer will get another load dropped off to work away on as I want.

wow thats alot of wood to have on hand.

Mcbride said:

Ah Ha! McBride, brace thyself! Maybe the guys will start picking on you now about how much wood you have on hand. :lol: I've taken lots of kidding for quite some time for having 6-7 years wood on hand. Now they can pick on you. :lol: btw, your reasoning is pretty much the same as mine.

I would grab that in a minute, can you take a spliter there, that's my favorite. Leave the splitting mess behind.

You can really never have too much wood.As long as you have the storage space & spare time to cut,split & stack - grab it whenever you can.

I'd like to be picked on because I had 6 or 7 years wood in hand.

Luxury to me is the thought of not having to scrabble about for anything to burn in this unexpectedly cold winter :)

Hmmm . . . while I have ready access to "free wood" on the family land if there was a large pile of free wood (and 2 cords count as making this a large pile), already bucked up with no brushing needed (a good portion of the hard work has been done) and it's a primo wood to boot (and red oak would count as good wood in my book) I would take the time to haul this wood home . . . better to have more wood than not have enough is my mantra when it comes to burning wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.