Help needed with DIY solar kiln control (FAN, etc) for drying wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
This is a fascinating thread. I also built a small (8'x16'x7') solar kiln, but I can't seem to find any pictures of it, even though I swear I took some.

I haven't been very scientific with mine this year, as I was late and rushed getting it built and filled around late August. I actually didn't fully fill it as the majority of the wood I have currently is random lengths and split sizes, so I was worried about it rubbing on the plastic. I'm probably going to empty it out in January, reinforce/protect the sides a little better and load it to the brim with material I cut to consistent size myself.

Mine has a temperature/humidity sensor that integrates with my HomeKit setup, but it was well into October by the time I got it installed, and the peak heat was long gone. I think the highest I ever saw it was in the low hundreds. It's not in the perfect sunlight as currently there's a tree blocking the late afternoon sun, which I will be dealing with later this winter when the ground freezes.

I'm really curious how it performs under the Michigan summer sun.