Help! Old Appalachian Gemini

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jgsooner96

Apr 11, 2023
Arkansas
Just bought an older home, and LOVED the self-contained fireplace--except now, had it inspected for home insurance purposes and due to its age and installation, it needs to be replaced.

I am being quoted that the whole thing has to come out and be replaced, and I lose the brick (which makes me sad--the brick was one of my favorite things!). Likely re-framing also to conform to current code.

Ballpark--what is this going to cost me?

1681248344368.png
1681248376245.png

Just bought an older home, and LOVED the self-contained fireplace--except now, had it inspected for home insurance purposes and due to its age and installation, it needs to be replaced.

I am being quoted that the whole thing has to come out and be replaced, and I lose the brick (which makes me sad--the brick was one of my favorite things!). Likely re-framing also to conform to current code.

Ballpark--what is this going to cost me?

View attachment 311965View attachment 311966
Yeah that's really scary. It definitely needs lots of work. If you could find a high efficiency zero clearance fireplace that would work with the brick opening you might be able to save it. What ever the solution is my rough guess would be 10k if you are having all the work done

Yikes, I thought that was a joke at first. The insurance company is doing you a favor. Was this revealed by the seller before the sale?

This is a zero clearance stove yes? What's the issue with the install?

This is a zero clearance stove yes? What's the issue with the install?
I can't find any record of an Appalachian Gemini zc unit. Pretty sure it's just an insert stuffed in a framed opening

Yikes, I thought that was a joke at first. The insurance company is doing you a favor. Was this revealed by the seller before the sale?
well, i hired a home inspector who advised that it was operating and that i could get a fireplace inspection if i wanted--and could kick myself now for not doing so. after i did get an inspection--i now know that its crazy unsafe, but the older man had been using this thing for 25 years--yikes. needeless to say, we DO NOT use it, and now i'm probably going to spend $15k to rip it out, re-frame and properly install a new ZC unit, then the brick/stone that is required. this is what happens when someone from Houston with electric fireplaces with remotes buys a house in another state where it is actually cold. during my showing, the dude had it going--and it was like 85 degrees in that house!

I can't find any record of an Appalachian Gemini zc unit. Pretty sure it's just an insert stuffed in a framed opening
i can't tell on the identification plate which box is "checked"...there is also a BR-4000 ZC and a PL-4000ZC. i guess its possible that it is one of those--just horribly unsafely installed.

i HOPE i can get it replaced and stone up to the ceiling as required for $10k--if so, that would be a great day. anyone that has done this?

i can't tell on the identification plate which box is "checked"...there is also a BR-4000 ZC and a PL-4000ZC. i guess its possible that it is one of those--just horribly unsafely installed.

i HOPE i can get it replaced and stone up to the ceiling as required for $10k--if so, that would be a great day. anyone that has done this?
I do a couple a year. No way you will get a high efficiency zc unit new chimney and all the finish work for 10k

If it is actually a zc unit figure out what it is and find the install requirements it may be able to be saved

I don't know anything about what you are trying to have done. But I will say that I would be careful about who you hire to do an install no matter what direction you go. I would not doubt the previous owner has someone professionally install that unit.

I don't know anything about what you are trying to have done. But I will say that I would be careful about who you hire to do an install no matter what direction you go. I would not doubt the previous owner has someone professionally install that u

I don't know anything about what you are trying to have done. But I will say that I would be careful about who you hire to do an install no matter what direction you go. I would not doubt the previous owner has someone professionally install that unit.
i am trying to get this fireplace or whatever it is removed, and a new fireplace installed. according to inspectors, this one was NOT installed per requirements--there is SHEETROCK next to that pipe! should be no combustible materials, the stove itself is 30 years old.
am looking at: tear out wall and remove old, cost of new ZC fireplace, re-do framing per specifications of ZC until, install new unit and finish work stone/brick all the way up to the ceiling.

i could kick myself. maybe i just say screw it and replace with electric fireplace for looks, pay an outrageous electric bill in the winter months and be done with it. at the showing, the man had that thing roaring--NEVER occurred to me that it could catch the whole damn house on fire. he's lucky that it didn't in the 30 years he lived there

That's a ZC insert. Multiple google hits confirm.
Is that double wall insulated pipe?

The Gemini XL was listed as a ZC, this doesn't look like that however.

Reactions: TomMcDonald
The ZC suffix on either model number is a sign it's a zero clearance stove.

i HOPE i can get it replaced and stone up to the ceiling as required for $10k--if so, that would be a great day. anyone that has done this