Help picking a wood burning insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Brian2230

Sep 20, 2020
Rhode Island
Hey everyone and thank you for taking the time to read my post and reply. I have a large fireplace in the basement of my 4000 square ft raised ranch and would like to have an insert installed to supplement my oil heat as much as possible. Now I know I will not be about to heat the entire house with an insert but the more heat I can extract from an insert the better. My other half prefers the look of a flush mounted insert but that is not a must have. So if anyone can give me some recommendations on inserts or even brands so I can try to narrow down my options and pull the trigger by this week on which insert I am buying. Also I do not want a cat insert. Thank you for your time and any responses you make have a appreciate it.

It would be helpful if you posted a pic of your existing fireplace,
along with the dimensions of the opening, including the depth,
both at the top & the bottom.

Reactions: Brian2230
Photo 1

Attachments

• 9E564D26-0CCF-41C2-BFAF-BC214F329482.jpeg
    9E564D26-0CCF-41C2-BFAF-BC214F329482.jpeg
    203.4 KB · Views: 272
Well I have looked at a few the first was a hearthstone green mountain insert and that was about $3200 second was a Vermont casting Montpelier II and that was $3600 that’s all I really have to go off of so $4k

Go for something in the 3 cu ft range.

How well does the fireplace work? Does it draft well or does it spill smoke at times?

Ok so I think I have narrowed it down to 3. Vermont casting Montpellier II, pacific energy neo 2.5, and hearthstone green mountain with soap stone.

Rhode islander here. Where are looking at the stoves? There's some in MA and I believe one close by over in CT. Are you doing the install yourself? I'd get something as big as you can in your range with that size place. You may need to add a hearth pad but you can build them. I have an enviro in my ranch.

Rhode islander here. Where are looking at the stoves? There's some in MA and I believe one close by over in CT. Are you doing the install yourself? I'd get something as big as you can in your range with that size place. You may need to add a hearth pad but you can build them. I have an enviro in my ranch.

I have been to four stove shops but they are all in Rhode Island. No I won’t be doing it myself I will have to hire someone to install it.

Writing from Calgary, Alberta, Canada.

I am also evaluating inserts. Currently focused on the Hearthstone Clydesdale (as soon as it becomes available).

Neat video of a Clydesdale being serviced:

I like the soapstone's heat retention and long heat release cycle.

Is there something specific about the Hearthstone GMi 70 that you like more than the Clydesdale?

I am actually now going with a pacific energy neo 2.5 insert. The reason is because the neo 2.5 can produce 85k btu the second reason is the cost to replace a soap stone brick vs a regular firebox brick. If I damage a firebox brick in the neo it will cost me $4 dollars to replace vs trying to find a soapstone brick

I just was this video on a Pacific Energy insert this morning:

This fellow experienced challenges with their customer support... For your consideration... He does seem very happy with the technology however.

Appreciate your comment regarding the higher cost of soapstone... Will take that into consideration myself...

Many stove companies have distinct policies to only go through the dealer for service issues. They have to rely on the dealer to be their eyes and ears. This is a gripe against the dealer. It is not a Pacific Energy issue. And the unit does not cost $5000, not close. That is the cost of the entire installation. And the insert is not rated for 4000 sq ft. With all this blather there is no explanation of what the problem is. All I could gather is that the blower snap switch may need adjusting. I agree with him that it is a real pain when you have a poor dealer, but he ended up getting the install price returned. Sounds like a lousy experience, but it is not an issue with the insert.

Reactions: Tech Guru
Yes, the video is lengthy and could have been more concise.

He does state that the issue was with the cables for the blower not being connected correctly resulting in the auto shut-off/turn-on for the blower not function.

It seems to me that his frustration is that the fabricator offers no support in the event that there is dissatisfaction with the dealer/installer.

He does state that he is satisfied with the stove itself barring the challenges related to poor installation.

Indeed. The fabricator is not responsible for installation errors. I got turned off by the hyperbole and long rant.

I came across the Stuv brand this morning, very sleek designs and an insert that produces 72 000 BTU. I also like that it is designed to function without a fan.

A very different philosophy in design when compared to something like the Princess 29 by Blaze King. Which appears to be a workhorse with a large ash bed capacity.

I am evaluating options for my own home... Interested in your thoughts on these two other inserts.

I came across the Stuv brand this morning, very sleek designs and an insert that produces 72 000 BTU. I also like that it is designed to function without a fan.

A very different philosophy in design when compared to something like the Princess 29 by Blaze King. Which appears to be a workhorse with a large ash bed capacity.

I am evaluating options for my own home... Interested in your thoughts on these two other inserts.
It would be better to start another thread rather than take over this one.