Help planning for wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
And if the flue is single wall pipe, it will cool the gasses so much that you may not get a decent draft and will create a lot of creosote. You could mitigate that by burning the stove very hot, but that's a waste of wood, more work to cut it, store it and haul it to the basement, and waste a lot of heat to the outside.

I would use double wall pipe. I already checked prices and found long sections, I believe they were about 5 feet, for just over $100. Am I missing something? Sounds fine to me.

Why would the flue system be unsightly? A black 6 inch pipe on the outside of my brick house from my wood stove would look awesome in my opinion. I don't understand why that would be unsightly. Normal stuff and cool looking.
It wouldn't be black or 6". It would be stainless and have an outside diameter of about 8". With lots of support brackets. Some are available powder coated but that adds more cost

I think you'll spend a lot of money with your proposed installation with minimal benefit and maximum problems. Consider putting the stove in the living space.
I am considering the living space. But the living space is cramped and there is not much room there. And I can always move it to the living space if the basement doesn't work out.

I would use double wall pipe. I already checked prices and found long sections, I believe they were about 5 feet, for just over $100. Am I missing something? Sounds fine to me.
What pipe are you looking at. That price sounds low and I have never seen 5' chimney pipe

Ok taking the pipe apart to clean really is not that big of a deal at all. Maybe an extra 5 mins. And any exterior pipe needs to be chimney pipe not single wall pipe. The problems I see with the setup is the basement is uninsulated and the stove is way to small for the application. I doubt the basement would even be that warm.

The basement is not going to be warm with a wood stove capable of heating 1200 square feet? I think it may be a little warmer down there! It already is warm from the gas heater. I don't get this reasoning at all. Like the heat is just going to disappear. It already doesn't from the gas heater, it comes upstairs thru the floor and basement door. I know this because the floor is warm when the heat is on and it is cold when it is off.

Guessing the basement access door being open for heat transfer? Potential fall concern possibly.

German Shorthair's are cool. I had a couple over the years when there were still good numbers of roosters to chase.
There is no concern. The basement has stairs just like the ones to the second floor. It doesn't just drop off. Totally safe and passes codes.

Yes otto is awesome. Smarter than me and my best friend.

The basement is not going to be warm with a wood stove capable of heating 1200 square feet? I think it may be a little warmer down there! It already is warm from the gas heater. I don't get this reasoning at all. Like the heat is just going to disappear. It already doesn't from the gas heater, it comes upstairs thru the floor and basement door. I know this because the floor is warm when the heat is on and it is cold when it is off.
Not dissapear no. Just go into the stone and earth past it. About 1/3 of your BTUs will do that. And the stove you are considering have pretty low btu output to start with. So if it is rated for 1200 sq ft knock off 1/3 of that going outside you are left with only 800 sq ft of heating capacity left to try to migrate upstairs. I have been doing this a long time. I can tell you without a doubt a small stove in an uninsulated basement will be a dissapointment.

I just searched the internet for 6" double walled pipe and saw those prices on many sites. That's why I asked what I was missing. Didn't see anything more expensive.
What ul standard is the pipe listed for? You need ul103ht pipe for a woodstove chimney. I have a feeling you are looking at connector pipe

Not dissapear no. Just go into the stone and earth past it. About 1/3 of your BTUs will do that. And the stove you are considering have pretty low btu output to start with. So if it is rated for 1200 sq ft knock off 1/3 of that going outside you are left with only 800 sq ft of heating capacity left to try to migrate upstairs. I have been doing this a long time. I can tell you without a doubt a small stove in an uninsulated basement will be a dissapointment.

yea, I'm good with that. I am not trying to heat the whole house and 1/3 sounds fine. I get all free wood and like cutting and splitting it so this is all bonus. Plus I get to learn how to install a wood stove and know how to do it in my next house. All worth the money, time and effort of everything discussed so far. And I don't have much space in the living room already, and don't want holes in my floors and ceilings because I may move within 10 years.

yea, I'm good with that. I am not trying to heat the whole house and 1/3 sounds fine. I get all free wood and like cutting and splitting it so this is all bonus. Plus I get to learn how to install a wood stove and know how to do it in my next house. All worth the money, time and effort of everything discussed so far. And I don't have much space in the living room already, and don't want holes in my floors and ceilings because I may move within 10 years.
How many square feet per floor?

I have a dog named otto, he is a german shorthair pointer and is 5. I do not have young children. Why do you ask?

I was thinking about toddlers falling down the stairs. I guess it's not an issue for you. To clarify a couple of points you and others have made, I now know you have a two story house. That adds more expense to what I call double wall pipe and others call chimney pipe. That stuff is expensive and getting it to the correct height will cost you.

I say it's unsightly and you say cool. I wouldn't want that on my house. Consider resale value if or when you sell the house.

A small stove such as what you propose isn't going to get much heat to the second floor.

Hey, you came to this site and asked for thoughts and opinions about your proposed installation and you don't like what you hear. Sounds like your mind is made up. So do it your way and get back to us after your installation.

I've been through three stove installations over the past 40 years, so I think I know what I'm saying.

Reactions: bholler
I was thinking about toddlers falling down the stairs. I guess it's not an issue for you. To clarify a couple of points you and others have made, I now know you have a two story house. That adds more expense to what I call double wall pipe and others call chimney pipe. That stuff is expensive and getting it to the correct height will cost you.

I say it's unsightly and you say cool. I wouldn't want that on my house. Consider resale value if or when you sell the house.

A small stove such as what you propose isn't going to get much heat to the second floor.

Hey, you came to this site and asked for thoughts and opinions about your proposed installation and you don't like what you hear. Sounds like your mind is made up. So do it your way and get back to us after your installation.

I've been through three stove installations over the past 40 years, so I think I know what I'm saying.
And I work on hundreds a year. Some of which are people trying to figure out why they can't get enough heat out of their basement stove. I know what you are talking about when you say doublewall pipe but I always say chimney pipe so it isn't confused with doublewall connector pipe only meant to be used untill it hits a wall or ceiling.

Just to make sure there is not a misunderstanding. The flue system switches from stovepipe (single or double-wall) to chimney pipe as soon as it passes through the wall. All exterior chimney pipe must be class A high temp (103HT). It does not come in 22.5º elbows, 15 & 30º are what are typically available depending on the brand of the chimney pipe.

When passing the chimney pipe thru the window it must be at least 2" from any combustible and you want this to be weather-tight. If you are going with DuraTech pipe, they make a thimble for this purpose. The part is 6DT-WT.

I looked up the prices and made a post earlier about that. If I am missing something let me know.

About 500 per floor, small brick townhome with attached neighbor for more free warmth.
Ok so 500 sq ft of that 800 left is used for the basement. So you have 300 sq ft of capacity left to heat the rest of the 1000 sq ft. It isn't even enough to heat the first floor especially when considering the difficulty getting heat out of the basement.

What makes you think that I don't like what I hear? Or respect what you are saying. I don't think I said anything like that at all. Can you give an example?

And I work on hundreds a year. Some of which are people trying to figure out why they can't get enough heat out of their basement stove. I know what you are talking about when you say doublewall pipe but I always say chimney pipe so it isn't confused with doublewall connector pipe only meant to be used untill it hits a wall or ceiling.
I don't remember questioning your knowledge at all. I respect and believe all that you have said. Why are you getting defensive?

I don't remember questioning your knowledge at all. I respect and believe all that you have said. Why are you getting defensive?
I am not defensive. Just trying to get my point across to you. But you seem set on your plans so I will just make sure you do it safely from here.