help please hearth pad and new stove thimble questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rosieXdox

Sep 29, 2021
new jersey
Hi everyone please let me know if you know of 5 foot by 4 foot hearth (hearth pad?) Wood stove will be Lopi Endeavor (nex gen) because they don’t sell the regular endeavor anymore i guess.

Original builder here has beautiful pine walls (knotty pine?) it’s tongue and groove. The wall the wood stove was on is brick 3/4th the way up the wall, the top 1/4th is the pine. that’s where the pipe goes trough the black ring, which right now has one of those plate things over it. Wood stove people are saying that if its terracotta there in the wall, that thats illegal, and theyll have to rip it out and put in a 300.00 double insulated thimble thing...? Anyone know how a wood stove can go through a pine wall, without ripping out the pine, or is the thimble thing really the only way to keep the wall? Theyre saying the pipe will go inside the existing terracotta if it fits, (if thats whats behind the plate thing) OR it will have to break the terracotta piece and replace it with metal....? Can any one help me? They said the pipe into the wall needs 18inch clearance, (even double wall pipe) so not pine, but brick or tile, or reduce clearance by using this expensive thimble thing.

Any ideas where to buy (or how to make, where to buy tiles, etc) a 5 foot wide by 4foot front to back hearth pad/mat?
Thank you so much for helping.

Hi everyone please let me know if you know of 5 foot by 4 foot hearth (hearth pad?) Wood stove will be Lopi Endeavor (nex gen) because they don’t sell the regular endeavor anymore i guess.

Original builder here has beautiful pine walls (knotty pine?) it’s tongue and groove. The wall the wood stove was on is brick 3/4th the way up the wall, the top 1/4th is the pine. that’s where the pipe goes trough the black ring, which right now has one of those plate things over it. Wood stove people are saying that if its terracotta there in the wall, that thats illegal, and theyll have to rip it out and put in a 300.00 double insulated thimble thing...? Anyone know how a wood stove can go through a pine wall, without ripping out the pine, or is the thimble thing really the only way to keep the wall? Theyre saying the pipe will go inside the existing terracotta if it fits, (if thats whats behind the plate thing) OR it will have to break the terracotta piece and replace it with metal....? Can any one help me? They said the pipe into the wall needs 18inch clearance, (even double wall pipe) so not pine, but brick or tile, or reduce clearance by using this expensive thimble thing.

Any ideas where to buy (or how to make, where to buy tiles, etc) a 5 foot wide by 4foot front to back hearth pad/mat?
Thank you so much for helping.
Without seeing it I can't say for sure but chances are the wall passthrough isn't done correctly and does need an insulated thimble. Unless you have 12" of solid masonry between that crock and any combustible materials it isn't right and could be pretty dangerous.

65B7A75D-2A84-4148-B6D0-004D63BE1CAD.jpeg
56a8f58d-e726-4aed-8eb0-9bc24e4baaed-png.282477

It's clear that the required clearance to combustible was not followed to the pine paneling. Can't say whether violations continued behind the paneling without some probing or exploratory surgery.

It's clear that the required clearance to combustible was not followed to the pine paneling. Can't say whether violations continued behind the paneling without some probing or exploratory surgery.
I can see drywall behind the paneling so I find it very doubtful

yes drywall is there directly under the pine.

what should be done?

anyone know ideas for 5x4 hearth?
original slate isn’t here anymore. Can’t find anyone doing 5’

yes drywall is there directly under the pine.

what should be done?

anyone know ideas for 5x4 hearth?
original slate isn’t here anymore. Can’t find anyone doing 5’
For the lopi I believe you only need ember protection so really any non-combustible material will work. That can be cement board and tile a stone slab sheet metal etc.

class thimble is going in. when stove comes in. i think they meant Class A.. not sure

hearth pad still elusive. lopi endeavor o think is only ember needed.
trying to find anything has been difficult. it’s a knotty pine room. the back of the wood stove wall is old red brick. so reds, browns and splotches of white. any ideas? all i can find are, black, beige or white.

The hearth pad needs to be at least 55" deep and 36" wide for the Endeavor NexGen.

If you find a hearthpad that you like you could lay a sheet of metal down that meets or exceeds requirements and then place a smaller hearth pad on top.

i thought 36”x45.5” was what it required as minimum.
so the 60”x48” was exceeding that.

what page of the manual did you find 55” minimum front to back?

that is what it used to be, and what we want it to be now. See how the 5’ wide brink evenly matched the hearth? It’s rectangular. I don’t know the front to back dimensions. and I have no idea what stove this was. It was a catalytic one. worked wonderfully. If anyone knows I could see how it compares to the lopi endeavor to see if i have enough stove or should have gotten larger/smaller.

i thought 36”x45.5” was what it required as minimum.
so the 60”x48” was exceeding that.

what page of the manual did you find 55” minimum front to back?
Screen Shot 2021-10-03 at 1.02.59 PM.png

6 + 23.5 + 16 = 45.5 am I missing a spot?
edge of mat to back of stove(6), stove front to back(23.5), front of stove to edge of mat(16)

6 + 23.5 + 16 = 45.5 am I missing a spot?
edge of mat to back of stove(6), stove front to back(23.5), front of stove to edge of mat(16)
You are right, for some reason I was adding 6 and 16 in my head and making it 32". My space out, sorry. How deep is the current hearth?

the people between us and the builder/original owner, ripped it out. took all appliances. etc. wood stove is also gone.
the brick wall remains.