Help some critter got into our woodstove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I was away and the same thing happened. I assumed it was a mouse which we had plenty of before the cat was adopted. I told her to smoke the mouse out. Turned out to be a beautiful blue bird. One of my many regrets. Can't believe I didn't think bird. I've saved many a bird even in a house. Once on a smoke shelf in a fireplace using a mirror & gloves. Birds tend to go into a shock state and freeze. With a slow and steady approach I've never had a problem catching them.

No word from the OP. I think the critter is dead. Bad way to die, bad.

No word from the OP. I think the critter is dead. Bad way to die, bad.

Either the critter or the OP . . .

Eagerly awaiting the outcome to this one . . .

Had some gray squirrels (note squirrels with a "s") come through a broken exhaust fan vent in our upstairs bathroom. Those are challenging buggers to catch when you're only armed with a beach towel and a clothes basket. In my mind I looked like a Roman gladiator . . . in reality I probably looked like the squirrel was winning.

Didn't figure out where they were coming from so after dealing with Rocky the first time around I had to deal with Peanuts a couple days later.

If you haven't listened to the Squirrel Copper episode of This American Life, do so now. One of the funniest stories I've ever heard.
Link?

Thx! That's hilarious. Stay calm and have a plan B.

I heard a rodent in what I thought was the dryer vent a few years ago. I thought "turn on the dryer and the little bugger would run right out." BIG mistake, the poor thing was inside the dryer. I spent the rest of the night trying to explain my thinking to my wife as a picked squirrel burger out of various parts of the dryer.

I heard a rodent in what I thought was the dryer vent a few years ago. I thought "turn on the dryer and the little bugger would run right out." BIG mistake, the poor thing was inside the dryer. I spent the rest of the night trying to explain my thinking to my wife as a picked squirrel burger out of various parts of the dryer.

Are you telling me that I can load my dryer with squirrels, put a piece of bread under the dryer vent, and it will turn into lunch?

I learn so many useful things here...

Reactions: Prof and Ashful