Help with Fisher Mama Bear

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha!! My old girl would look damn sexy in those. :)

I'd like to answer everyone, but I think I need to start another thread since my intention is not to hijack this away from the original poster asking for help with his Mama Bear ! If a moderator feels the same way and wants to start one, or move this, I'd appreciate it.

summit;
Here's how I not only find, but sometimes am able to get something rare.

It takes time, and doesn't always work out. Getting someone to crate a stove and ship it to you from another state that you feel is too far to drive is the challenge. I've learned a lot about shipping and freight companies and correct freight classification to keep it cheap. ( Don't let a broker tell you it's any higher than a class 70 !)

Once you have a variety of models to compare others to, it gets easier!

Start a notebook;
I started by making a page for each stove in a loose leaf notebook. Since the Papa Bear was first, I took the information from the brochure and started it's description with length, width, log size, heating area........ As you go, you can document changes through the years. You will have pre 1980 info, post 1980 info, and oddities found and where they came from. Soon you will document things like door stampings vs. embossed markings inside the doors. Geting as detailed as you want. You'll always have questions like what foundries used what markings, so until you know the difference between a weld of Ron's or Bob's, there is always something to learn.

Identify a stove from pictures and sale ads;
Years ago I studied pictures of stoves for sale. You can't go by the sellers description, because they don't know what they have. They guess. Or think they always knew what it was. You will learn to tell a Grandma from a Grandpa by how much space is around the trees on the door for example. If the doors are open, you know by the online manual that Grandma has 5 bricks across the back. (one is in the center) and a Grandpa has 6 across the back. (This shows up in pictures as a brick seam in the middle). Use the notes you have on each stove to identify it.
Disect the ad and find something wrong with it. You need a reason to contact the seller and a reason for them to get back to you.

Contact the seller;
Once you've identified the stove, email them if it's on Craigslist or send a message through eBay "ask a question". Sometimes you have to call them. You can even ask a question on the sold items if you find it too late and want to ask if they have more (copy of manual that went with a stove or whatever). I correct them politely like I did today with a Craigslist ad stating they had a Papa Bear for sale that "takes up to a 24 inch log". I knew that was incorrect from my Papa page. (documented from the brochure stating Papa takes up to 30"). Keep in mind some sellers don't know they are supposed to have bricks! So they may state they have a stove that will take up to 26 inch, so it's probably a Mama without bricks......) Anyway, once they are told the difference of their description compared to the correct model, they usually agree and change the ad, or argue it. Then you simply can send the brochure or copy of a manual in pdf until they realize they are wrong. Most are so content with the brochure or a manual to give with the stove, you're their hero. Now you can get information form them you may need about the stove or paperwork with it.

Now network;
If the stove is a rarity, and you're interested, send them the book cover. If they are interested in reading it, send them the first 2 chapters in pdf. Another day the rest...... They will either be hooked and go out of their way to crate and ship you the stove, or decide they have something they don't want to sell. This is where things crash and you may have to offer more if it's really an oddity. Here is where a few can become your source of information. As you email back and forth, you find they have relatives that had a stove and they don't know if they may still have it. (freebies for the road trip) One I contacted across the country heats with a Grandma. He had a question about hooking it up on some homesteading website. I answered him, and found out in his reply that he has the '76 doors ! He only wants a good size stove to heat with, so after sending him a manual and trading pictures of our backhoes and gardens, I got an invite to stay over and swap him stoves.

Go for it;
Watch the free ads on Craigslist for ANY similar stoves to a Fisher. Watch your local paper classifieds. (cheap up to $100 maybe) Alaska Kodiak is good for me since they are in PA and still in business. Try to get a listed stove of any brand, like a Fisher knock off. Make it nice, paint it. Now you have barter material for the person who buys an older stove you want to trade. Some sellers will give you the buyers email or number if you're too late and miss one. Once they know you collect them, and the people that bought it only want a stove to heat their garage, you're in. "Sell" them on a listed newer stove that the factory is still in business. They will jump on it. If you're luck they haven't installed it yet. No biggie to switch them out. And there is your 1979 Mama Bear with a new door style not seen until 80, that was made just before the baffle was added. (I noticed this one by the picture of an older box with angle iron legs and the newer style doors) It just takes time.

How about someone near NC that can get to the dealer who has the Ben Franklin advertising poster? They were an old Fisher dealer and advertise on line to come in and see it. ( Something like Ben sitting in front of his stove saying, "wish I had a Fisher" ) Maybe you can get them to litho it at a local print shop, or let you do it and split the profit? I bet a lot of folks on here would buy one.

So make room in the basement for your own "Fisher Factory Showroom".
Good luck! Paul
(not the Canadian licensee Ziri)

Now while you're thinking "this guy has too much free time"......

Here's a good example of the method to my madness;

Sorry I had to edit the information of this stove until it is identified or in my possesion.

That's the kind of response that keeps me going !

hareball;
I updated a post in another thread about those feet.

Update 2/22/10;
The straight version is only found on newer stoves with angled legs, and the angled version is shown in the pre 80 brochure. I am in contact with someone in California that has original foot molds, and have been told about the differences in foundries that cast them. A pour of new solid brass feet (120 to 150 pcs.) is planned for this spring, and anyone desiring a set can contact me. They should be available on eBay this summer. They will not be stamped inside like the originals, but the detail of hair and claws is evident. I’m not a smoker, but they make a nice ashtray for a stove collector.

Thanks for the update Coaly!
You know what would be nice? If those feet could just be slipped on (back cut out). Personally I think more people would purchase them if they didn't have to disconnect their flue and jack up the stove and then have to adjust the flue length. A back piece could even be fabricated to make it look complete. I'd py th extra cash for that lol!!

Very interesting stuff, thanks Coaly (I'm feeling privileged to have read the removed info before it was removed, too! muhahahahah!)

hareball;

The foot bottom is only 1/8 inch thick. (measuring an original) So it shouldn't require a change in flue length.
Now you have a reason to take that pipe apart and clean it ! ;-)
I use 2X4's and a car jack to lift one end at a time. At least once they're under there, you won't have to worry about anyone stealing them.

I'll cut yours open with a sawzall and make a pair of bear slippers for you.
You will have a one of a kind stove. The "Gay Bear"

Haha very true Coaly!! BUT--I just did all new flue over spring 09! Everything from stove collar to cap was original from 30+ years ago. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.