Help with Grandma Bear top exhaust - Do I need an adapter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

WoodStoveNovice

Jan 2, 2021
Alabama
Greetings, Wise Ones!
I was really excited to own my first woodstove; a Fisher Grandma Bear from the 1980's (one owner). I just started trying to attach a single-wall stovepipe to the stove's top; my plan was to go up 24" using single wall pipe and turn 90 degrees before converting to double-wall pipe, then to Class A at the wall. Well, the hardware store sold me some 8-inch pipe but the crimped end will NEVER fit down inside the steel ring (7 3/4" inside diameter). Is there an adapter or should I take the pipe down to the local tin shop to see if he can cut it and shrink it?
stovepipe.jpg

I have the same stove and had the same problem. I visited several stores to find the largest 8 inch inside pipe diameter stove pipe. I finally found it and installed the pipe over the collar. OK I know it is backwards but it works for me . Diameter can vary with different manufacturers. I run my stove hot so creosote is never a problem. Heats great.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 196
Reactions: WoodStoveNovice
Thank you for your help. I've located this adaptor which one customer has verified fits the Fisher stoves:
8'' DuraBlack Double-Skirted Stovetop Adapter - 8DBK-ADDB
I'll give an update when it arrives!

Thank you for your help. I've located this adaptor which one customer has verified fits the Fisher stoves:
8'' DuraBlack Double-Skirted Stovetop Adapter - 8DBK-ADDB
I'll give an update when it arrives!
That’s one way, back in the day installers simply used a hand crimper and go around the male end a few times to crimp it down smaller. You use a crimper anytime you cut pipe anyway, so it’s a tool used often. By bending outward as you go, it eliminates the funnel shape you get and works well.

The issue is due to the first pipes used on all stoves being 6 or 8 inch outside diameter instead of the inside dimension. Later stoves were made with internal pipe size to fit stove pipe. When connecting to the back of a stove, the side of a Tee can be used over the pipe outlet so condensate can drip down into the cap.

Reactions: WoodStoveNovice
Do you have a flue pipe damper installed? There was none in your first picture.

For open burning with a screen a damper is required. Close the damper slowly until smoke rolls in. Open slightly to evacuate smoke. This is your only control of the fire with doors open. This slows the fire as well as keeping as much heat in the home as possible. They are not considered a radiant heater in Fireplace Mode.