Help with Insert for corner fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

shiratea

Nov 29, 2020
Muskoka
Hi everyone,
I'm new to this. I have a corner wood fireplace and am wondering if it is possible to get a wood stove insert that fits it (ie if there is one that already fits or that can be ?cut to fit). I've attached a photo. Dimensions are in the attached document.
Thanks so much!

Fireplace.jpg dimensions of fireplace.jpg

You can probably find one that fits in the there,
but you will have to fab up some metal panels,
or have some stonework done, to fill in the gaps
on either side

You can probably find one that fits in the there,
but you will have to fab up some metal panels,
or have some stonework done, to fill in the gaps
on either side

Thanks! When you say fab up some metal panels (I'm a total novice here...), do you mean to cover the side (around the corner) or to frame the insert? I contacted a company about intallation and they said they weren't sure they could figure it out!

You will have to cover the opening on the right (short) side,
& partially wrap around the front to cover that small "jog."
You will also have to cover the angled opening on the left side.
They will have to be anchored to the existing stone at the top,
bottom & to the stone on one side for rigidity..
They will need to be flush with the facing above the fireplace
opening & will be partially hidden by the insert's surround...

If it were mine I’d consider something like the pacific energy neo 2.5 and maybe skip the surround. Clean modern ish lines would fit nice with all the angles of the stone work. Or use a single piece that angles from the insert corner to the vertical edge on the short face. That would’ve leave the top corner floating and might look neat??? At any rate I would keep the surround inside the opening and not cover up any stone as it will just draw more attention to the corner of the surround if you have it keep the shape of the opening. Just my thoughts

evan