Help with VC Encore Cat Probe/Thermometer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I see your probe tip is about the center of the catalyst. I will see if I can find a thermocouple probe that's a right angle style that won't stick out as far. There's nothing on the back of my stove to support it.
Eman, if you have the VC Encore the 6" probe is fine it will stick out the back a little but you can support it with the hardware VC included with their temperature gauge. I had some thing metal "string" I wrapped it around just to make sure it stays in place.

@Jason79er see attached pictures. Also, I linked what you need to buy below to the AUBER website, courtesy of @Woodsplitter67
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/2022-23-vc-owner-thread.193685/post-2608952

IMG_0502.JPEG IMG_0501.JPEG

I see your probe tip is about the center of the catalyst. I will see if I can find a thermocouple probe that's a right angle style that won't stick out as far. There's nothing on the back of my stove to support it.
get the factory prob support.. and put it on and attach the k type prob the it

My stove didn't come with a gauge or bracket. the back of mine looks a little different as it has a panel back there where the cat goes in. I can make a bracket to support it if need be. I have a few K type thermocouples and units they plug into for reading temps.

Eman, if you have the VC Encore the 6" probe is fine it will stick out the back a little but you can support it with the hardware VC included with their temperature gauge. I had some thing metal "string" I wrapped it around just to make sure it stays in place.

@Jason79er see attached pictures. Also, I linked what you need to buy below to the AUBER website, courtesy of @Woodsplitter67
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/2022-23-vc-owner-thread.193685/post-2608952

View attachment 301045 View attachment 301046
@t0asty , thank you for the pics! I just ordered the AT100 and WRNK-191 probe. I noticed on the other thread you said you have 2 additional temp guages as well. Is this just personal preference or is there a functional reason for these? If you remember where you got them I'd appreciate that information as well.

Reactions: t0asty
@t0asty , thank you for the pics! I just ordered the AT100 and WRNK-191 probe. I noticed on the other thread you said you have 2 additional temp guages as well. Is this just personal preference or is there a functional reason for these? If you remember where you got them I'd appreciate that information as well.

you want to get 2 magnetic thermometers one for the stove top.. griddle.. one for 14 inches above the stove on the stove pipe

20220923_174745.jpg

@Jason79er as @Woodsplitter67 responded, they are just magnetic temperature gauges. Probably got them from amazon but its been awhile, they were from my previous stove. One on the stop top and one on the stove pipe. Once the CAT is engaged the stove pipe temp should drop pretty quickly, it is always amazing to see how hot the internals of the stove get while putting so little heat (considering) out the chimney

Reactions: Jason79er
Reactions: Jason79er
Just an update with my Encore 0028. I bought a temperature probe from Auber and ordered it with the mini plug end so I could use it with my temperature meter I already had. I asked Auber about a shorter probe as it only needs to stick into the stove a couple of inches. They didn't have a shorter probe but they did say the probe could be bent if necessary. I installed it straight and will make a bracket to attach to the stove. I might use my tubing bender and put a 90* angle on it so it doesn't stick out so far. With my Encore and the removeable panel for the cat I removed the cat and I could position the probe exactly in the center of the chamber below the cat. So far so good with the new cat no problem to get it to 1000* and it's burning good. Still investigating the secondary air control flap. It was closed with the stove cold and I should have left the cover off to observe it. I think the spring/probe might possibly need replacing.

Reactions: t0asty
Still investigating the secondary air control flap...
Know this goes back a year, but is this in reference to the Thermostatic Air Control, namely the self-modulating widget in/near the bottom, rear flap that auto-modulates the flap a bit based on increasing/decreasing stove temperatures?

If so, did you learn anything? I'm looking to inspect this piece, but I'm not exactly sure where it is, how to access it, and perhaps most important, how to know by looking at it whether it's in working order. Posted a question on this just earlier today and then found this post with your comment.

This post is just amazingly helpful. I've been trying to figure out the cat probe thing for a while and think this gets me almost all the way there.

To share in an attempt to pay it forward, there now seems to be a combo of the AT100 and the WRNK-191 for sale here.

I do have two quick questions, though (Encore Flexburn 2040) . . .

1) I've found the little plug in the back of the stove (about an inch inside of back heat shield). How do you take it out, and how do you then seal the hole once the probe is in place?

2) I get with probes and whatnot that distance can become an issue. Can I extend the probe wire so I could theoretically put the AT100 in another room? Part of this is that there's no outlet near the woodstove.

Know this goes back a year, but is this in reference to the Thermostatic Air Control, namely the self-modulating widget in/near the bottom, rear flap that auto-modulates the flap a bit based on increasing/decreasing stove temperatures?

If so, did you learn anything? I'm looking to inspect this piece, but I'm not exactly sure where it is, how to access it, and perhaps most important, how to know by looking at it whether it's in working order. Posted a question on this just earlier today and then found this post with your comment.
I installed a new probe/coil and never got any worthwhile info on exactly how it supposed to work. The coil will get hot and go around and open the flap when the stove overfires.
As far as the plug on the back it just pops out by prying it. The probe sticks through the material surrounding the cat and it holds it.

This post is just amazingly helpful. I've been trying to figure out the cat probe thing for a while and think this gets me almost all the way there.

To share in an attempt to pay it forward, there now seems to be a combo of the AT100 and the WRNK-191 for sale here.

I do have two quick questions, though (Encore Flexburn 2040) . . .

1) I've found the little plug in the back of the stove (about an inch inside of back heat shield). How do you take it out, and how do you then seal the hole once the probe is in place?

2) I get with probes and whatnot that distance can become an issue. Can I extend the probe wire so I could theoretically put the AT100 in another room? Part of this is that there's no outlet near the woodstove.
Remove the plug. You will nee to get a small drill bit and make a hole through the fiber board with it. The drill bit shoud be slightly smallerthen the prob itself. Have I person hold the fiberboard and push and rotate the drill bit by hand as not to rip a giant hole in the fiberboard. You do not need to seal the hole. You will need to make a bracket to secure the prob to

Remove the plug. You will nee to get a small drill bit and make a hole through the fiber board with it. The drill bit shoud be slightly smallerthen the prob itself. Have I person hold the fiberboard and push and rotate the drill bit by hand as not to rip a giant hole in the fiberboard. You do not need to seal the hole. You will need to make a bracket to secure the prob to
Drill bit works pretty well. Just spin it with your fingers and a very light pressure and it goes right through. I zip tied my probe to my blower power cord. Hasn't moved at all.