Help with wood stove choice?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
elkimmeg said:
BBb all stoves installed to the current standard of the time are grandfathered and still considered compliant you do not have to change a thing.
And if really concerned PM me I don't really want to educate and sacrifice safety and manupliate codes on a public forum

No worries Elk. My two inch thick 18" deep can't burn it with a torch hearth extension puts exposed carpet 28 inches out from the loading door. Well, it would if it wasn't sitting on top of a four foot X four foot Imperial stove board. So it is four feet to anything burnable. The only danger around here is of me tripping on all of that safety crap and landing hands first on top of a six hundred degree 30-NC. The older and more feeble I get the more I think I need a baby fence around it too.

Actually the big stove board is to keep the bark dust crap off of the carpet. And on clearance at Lowe's $11 beat the heck out of fifty.

Safety is a lot easier when "It ain't furniture, it's heat.".

BrotherBart said:
Except for say somebody who has been burning into a direct connect for a year and found hearth.com. Now he goes and gets that nifty full liner installed and when he dutifully calls for the inspector to bless his installation he gets busted for that $1,000 worth of hearth he put in not sticking far enough out into the room. The one made of marble tiles he would never be able to match in fifty years.

NFPA needs to put away the Kool-Aid.

If it will make you feel better BB, go read the Hearth Design article in the Wiki that we've been talking about so much... It has just been updated to specifically include the 18" requirement (w/ discussion of how the 16" mentioned in the manuals is no longer correct) and I have also strongly reccomended building bigger than that, in order to fit potential upgrades, and for increased safety reasons.

Gooserider

elkimmeg said:
Who ever told you Jotul was bought out is news to me. As for quality control, most major manufactures have a decent track record. What may be more important is the dearer you purchase from, his willingness to service your stove within the warranty period, should an issue arise. This is not name brand designer shopping. You are shoping functionality, dealers, and looks.

Elk,

Ratos bought 63% of Jotul from the current owner, Accent Equity in June of 2006. Accent Equity still owns 23% I think. I read about this earlier in the year when I was researching their stoves. Here's the link.

http://www.jotul.us/Content/StandardToolBoxPage____7573.aspx

if im reading correctly , the 18 inch is for unlisted units , or units which the listing has expired on , guys check this article and let me know if i am reading this right. according to the article , quoting nfpa211 says that listed stoves are to be installed per manufacturers instructions (but states that some local codes may stipulate otherwise) here is the link https://www.hearth.com/econtent/ind...learances_installing_it_safely?id=63_0_1_0_M1

i just wanna know if this is correct , and if listed stoves are still to follow manufacturers manual which has clearances designated by the testing agency.

stoveguy2esw said:
if im reading correctly , the 18 inch is for unlisted units , or units which the listing has expired on , guys check this article and let me know if i am reading this right. according to the article , quoting nfpa211 says that listed stoves are to be installed per manufacturers instructions (but states that some local codes may stipulate otherwise) here is the link https://www.hearth.com/econtent/ind...learances_installing_it_safely?id=63_0_1_0_M1

i just wanna know if this is correct , and if listed stoves are still to follow manufacturers manual which has clearances designated by the testing agency.

Elk is the expert here, but my understanding is that it's a bit of a grey area - the door clearance that used to be 16" US and 18" Canadian wasn't specified by the mfgrs, but rather by codes (note that this distance spec is ONLY for the areas in front of loading doors - clearances on the other sides are up to the manufacturer / test lab...) The change to 18" is a code specification change, so it should override what is in the manuals. Existing installs are grandfathered, but it gets a bit fuzzier on new installs. Elk said he's made sure all the installers in his area know about the change, and he will start enforcing it in a month or two, I don't know what other inspectors might do.

I know that mfgrs aren't required to update their manuals other than at the usual 5-year recertification intervals, I'm not sure if it is OK to make changes of this sort in between times or not (I figure that sort of detail is more your job..., but I certainly would consider it a good thing if the manufacturers at least included an extra sheet mentioning this change. Certainly I would think it would be easier than trying to appease customers who have just had their 16" built-per-the-manual hearth rejected....

Gooserider

BeGreen said:
Welcome maestro, are you a musician? If you go with a Jotul, go for the Castine (F400). The 3CB is not a 24/7 stove. I've owned both.

My Castine was new last fall and I have seen no degradation in quality, nor heard of any ownership change. It's a very nice stove and handles a 22" split.

I agree with the Castine consideration over the 3CB for the reasons above if the stove will fit in the space. I had the same dilemma and oversized based upon my thinking of the extra work the 3CB would entail. The 3CB will need to be filled more often with smaller straighter pieces of wood and if you process your own wood it means you have to cut it 3-4 inches shorter and have to split it smaller and reject using those oddball chunks of wood you can't split. The larger stove will also allow you to easily keep up with those very cold -10 and lower nights.

My Castine has seen 2 burning seasons and it looks as good as new.

I don't regret my decision at all.

I would also choose the Homestead over the Tribute for the same reasoning.

2 1/2 years ago I had the same decision to make and looked at Hearthstone, Pacific Energy and Jotul stoves. I wanted the Homestead but I ultimately went to the dealer who provided the best service.

Everyone is gonna have their favorites..ITs usually what they burn. For me, its Avalon Olympic, although you can get away with the Rainier..I like them because of their efficiency and ther have really close clearance standards..I ahve knotty pine walls and didnt have to put up any back-board or sideboard at all. Jsut a hearth pad

I think we should all demolish our homes, rebuild them out of solid concrete and include a masonry heater with firebox access from the outside of the house. I think that should solve most of the issues.
Either that or one of these: http://www.dectra.net/garn/

What stove did you end up with?

I know this is an old post but I will add my comments for researchers in the future. I have the f3 cb and love it.... I get these short burn times (3-4 hours) only when I burn sorf woods. I burn locust and oak to get a good coal bed and stuff a big round of locust in before I go to bed. I average an 8 hour topping at 10 hour burn with locust rounds and best ever 14 hr with a chunk of locust that was built for my fire box... I feel that the type of wood is key with the f3. I have 2 acres of locust forest at my house, so it is very easy for me to get great hardwood (one fallin' limb = about 10 all nighter locust rounds for me). If I only burn oak, my box fills up with coals and runs out of room for wood. What I am saying is a smaller stove makes for some homework of what wood to use but does a great job for me when I choose what wood to burn. If I only had soft wood to burn I would be here telling you that the f3 would be too small. My nieghbor has a big hearthstone stove and he can fit 5-6 of the same locust rounds in and he only get ann 8 -10 hour burn with that much more wood in it. I find that I burn about 1/4 of the wood in a season that he does and we both burn 24/7. I start mine up a month before he does and burn about a month after he does too. I have a 1400 sf rancher with great insulation and have 3 windows cracked open all winter long. I have both windows next to the stove open now, the room is 73 and it's 32 outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.