Helping out a friend

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jags

Moderate Moderator
Staff member
Aug 2, 2006
Northern IL
A friend of mine wanted to trim a couple of branches. He is not very comfortable working from a pallet on forks of a loader tractor. So I agreed. One 24" stem also needed to be knocked down. That sucker was petrified. All OAK.==c.

A total of 3 loads in the trailer and a partial in the truck. 1/3 of it is already split. Nothing like working firewood on a 90 degree day.:rolleyes:

While on site, his neighbor comes over and asks if I want the half a dozen rounds behind his house (oak again). "Sure". Didn't realize they were 40" rounds. Heavy stuff for sure.

Oh - the pics to prove it happened.
trailera_sm.jpgtrailerg_sm.jpg

Yeah - they were big branches.

some real nice rounds there

The first load had already given in to the splitter:
trailerd_sm.jpg

Great! :cool:
That doesn't look like any Oak bark that I've ever seen, though....

That doesn't look like any Oak bark that I've ever seen, though....

It is oak. Look at the second pic - by the wheel well of the tire you can't see. A leaf is still attached to the round. Trust me - this dude has nothing BUT oaks in his yard. It was a park 100 years ago, called Scamps Grove.

Here, I cropped it from the original giganto pic. Its oak, no doubt about it.
oak leaf.JPG

I cropped it from the original giganto pic.
Yep, that sure looks like an Oak leaf but not like what I've seen around here. You're not all that far from me but if that was a park maybe they brought in some species that weren't native. I haven't gone through the woods with a fine-tooth comb, but bark like that would stand out. In the woods here I've seen White, Red, Black, Pin, Shingle and Post Oak.
Split it, stack it, fuggedaboutit. ==c

This is most likely a white oak, but he does have a couple of burr mixed in. Southern IN. is like a whole different world from N. IL.:p

but if that was a park maybe they brought in some species that weren't native.

These trees are most likely 150-250 years old. They are native.

Southern IN. is like a whole different world from N. IL.:p
True dat. You're in Zone 5; Here, we are bordering Zone 7.
These trees are most likely 150-250 years old.
The trunks on those bad boys must be massive! _g

Very similar to White Oaks I was familiar with in Northern Virginia.

Yeah, there were quite a few Bur Oak at my folks' place in Southern WI....

Yeah, them's some old trees, alright.

Look to the right of the downed tree in my last pic. In the distance you can see the size of some of these things. They are all grown up, big boys.

Another one from his yard a year or two ago:
Wow! In that park setting, they got plenty of light and really had room to spread out.

Great score. Will make some real nice splits. :)

I have no idea how you worked in that temperature & humidity.
I'd need a garden hose to keep hosing me down & still not sure I'd live thru it. LOL

Good job.

Great of you to help a friend Jags. The result is some fantastic wood to feed your stove.

I have no idea how you worked in that temperature & humidity.

A few breaks and lots of fluid. It felt good, but boy was I whipped by the end of the day.

Helped a friend + got some awesome oak = great deal/score!

Great supply of wood there, some primo wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.