Here we go again...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
HehHeh . . . don't tell my wife, but I'm kinda liking this last hurrah of winter as I still haven't quite got my fill of snowmobiling yet. My wife is not a fan of winter weather though so I keep telling her not to worry since snow that comes this late melts off quick . . . hopefully not too quickly though.

Yeah - I can snowshoe to parts of my lot that are tough to get to in the summer and get some exercise at the same time. Also trimming white pines higher than I can reach once the snow's gone.

Meanwhile I have a new ATV with 1 mile on it stashed in the shed...

Reactions: firefighterjake
;sick

NO, sorry, but that's NOT how it works.

Lots of disinformation is spewed about SS by groups that want to kill it off. And they want to kill it off because they are proposing more IRA like investing vehicles as the replacement which just put more money into the pockets of investment banks (in the form of fees and commisions).

I want to kill it, because it is theft. I can save on my own and I do not need the government to take more of my money for (supposedly) my own good.

At 39, I'd opt out right now.

Reactions: rowerwet
I thought this thread about the weather. I can't remember a time when there were 3 back to back Nor'eaters. Can anyone? Hoping that all are well prepared this time and that this is the end of winter back east.

we had 3 back to back about 4 days apart in 2015 in march and they all were big. if i remember it was 2 feet then 2 feet the 3 feet. the last one was coming down so heavy that us plows could not keep up and when we went to leave the parking lots to go get a hotel room we had to plow our way to the hotel and then plow the hotel out just to get some shuteye cuz we were up for 28 to 30 hours.

Wish we would get snow like that around here. You'd think by living in WI one could actually own and ride a snowmobile most of the winter, but nope! Trails were only open TWO days around here....and even at that they only had about 6" of snow. If it's going to be cold I want SNOW dang-it. ::-)
We had a good season up here in NW Wisconsin and the trails were in good shape all winter long. It’s good for the area bars and resorts as it brings in the sledders from afar.

Reactions: JRHAWK9
Here we go again. 6 in and still coming down ,another day inside to finish my taxes!

Update ! 12in and just now tapering off here in central PA.

Pretty bad here, too. Very heavy stuff, probably close to a foot of it so far, and we’re forecast to have another 4 hours of it. The chiropractors will be busy tomorrow.

It did give me an excuse to break out the big snow blower for the first time in two years, tho. I love that thing.

Lots of neighbors with broken shear pins, in their homeowner-grade blowers.

Last edited:
Not expecting accumulation, but the temp outside has dropped 5º in the past few hours and it's snowing outside. This is the latest I can recall seeing snow here.

I’m sure we’ve had snow in June, if you checked the records, but anything after April 1 is pretty exciting and rare. I do remember one of the biggest storms of my life happened March 30-31 in 1983. We got somewhere near 30 inches in a single day. We’ve had three bigger, since that time, but that was the only time I remember making snowmen on April Fool’s day.

Last edited:
Latest snow storm ( snow staying on ground) was May 10 1988, That I can remember. Late April has been good for a real good wallop, 1973 was a dozy.

Got 12" but 70% of it gone the next day. Snow doesnt last long this time of year.

Got 12" but 70% of it gone the next day. Snow doesnt last long this time of year.

This stuff came down mighty heavy and wet, so I can only imagine what it would have amounted to, if it were a few degrees colder. As it was, I think we came out at 14 inches.

Good sledding snow, although a little deep for the runner sleds. It was good snowman making snow and snowball fight snow, too. Had one last long hurrah for the year, or at least that’s what I hope it was, playing in the snow with the kids on Thursday.

In a normal year, I’d have gotten a jump on spring, starting my edging and mulching a week ago. I’d have put my pre-emergent weed block and first round of fertilizer down two weeks ago. Right now, that’s all on hold, likely until April.