Here's an interesting CL ad

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
weird

As a 501C3 you can ask for a donation but if you set a price then it's no longer a donation or tax deductible.

fv

I don't see anything odd about it. They probably had some trees come down, and are (like most churches) short on their budget. They don't want to sell it, as to keep your "donation" tax deductible, so they're offering it up and requesting a fair donation.

I've seen many other such fundraisers, such as garage sales where the congregation donates items to be sold, and the church just asks buyers to give what they can for an item. Some people pay fair price, some others less fortunate can't afford fair price, but get what they need nonetheless. Others take advantage, and give far less than what the items are worth, even if they can afford better.

The only thing I see wrong is the folks who helped themselves to the wood. It costs dollars to run a church the same as it cost dollars to run a business or even your home. At the same time, they as for a donation. To me this means what you can afford or feel right in doing. I'd also bet if there were a needy family, they could approach the good people there and would perhaps even get help bucking up the wood.

fwiw, we have a neighbor who freely donates some firewood annually. In addition, a relative of his also comes in to cut then deliver to needy families and there is no cost to those families. If someone felt the need to make a donation to the church, it would no doubt be very welcome. However, in all this, one can not talk just about the church or donations. Let us not forget the work of the Lord or perhaps a tithe.

As a 501C3 you can ask for a donation but if you set a price then it's no longer a donation or tax deductible.
fv
If in doubt, I always ask what the "suggested" donation is. That seems to work.

Someone already stole 4 cord. How much do they have?

Some old churches (mine was founded sometime around 1730) have a LOT of land. We have a picnic grove where weddings and parties are hosted, and after hurricane Sandy, we had countless cords down. I bucked up a bunch of it for them one day, and took some of those 49" oak rounds I've pictured here a few times. Others have been taking from it since, but it will be many, many years before it's all gone!

I don't know, but it's not likely the thief will see there plea for a donation; He's not going to be looking at wood ads, as he is already set for the year. ;lol :rolleyes:

Nothing wrong at all in asking for a donation, The money is going to a good cause and is very normal for churches to run that way. Ive helped run things just like that at our church for people in need. Its a shame someone stooped low enough to steal from a church, but a thief is a thief no matter who they steal from. That's one thing that burns me more than anything is a thief. Low down lazy piece of crap taking what someone else worked very hard for. Goes against everything I believe in, this country was built by hard working people and someone thinks they are entitled to have something they didn't earn so they take it.

I believe it would be a better testimony if the church would give the wood away to those in need. Iv'e been a member of 2 churches. One was only 20 members, and my current one 150-175. We have never "fund raised". My wife and I tithe our 10%, plus faith promise, building fund, etc... Luke 6:38

I believe it would be a better testimony if the church would give the wood away to those in need.
Why are you assuming they don't? Most churches will request a donation on stuff like this, from those who can afford it, but those who can't still get what they need. That's why it's a "request for donation," and not, "sale price."

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Why are you assuming they don't? Most churches will request a donation on stuff like this, from those who can afford it, but those who can't still get what they need. That's why it's a "request for donation," and not, "sale price."

I guess because the ad says "It is not for free ,we do ask for a donation to the church!So whoever took 4 cords please be honest and call to make a payment

I guess because the ad says "It is not for free ,we do ask for a donation to the church!So whoever took 4 cords please be honest and call to make a payment
My assumption would be the person who took the 4 cords didn't really need it or they would have asked or simply given what they could. If someone really is in need and knows there is a place to get help then why not just ask. This looks more like a thief, and I think they handled it well. If it was me I would maybe not have said it how they did but I don't think its wrong what they did.

here is a another C/L post that makes you wonder

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/zip/3977352580.html
Free Maple and Fir rounds at 2615 11th Ave. W. Seattle, WA 98119. Located in back yard. Enter the property at your risk and use your own good judgment to protect your own safety.
  • it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

Was posted by a personal injury lawyer. What comes around, goes around.

Reactions: Foragefarmer
Was posted by a personal injury lawyer. What comes around, goes around.

I know of a lawyer that mailed out a retraction of his Christmas card.

I bet I rode past that church on the freedom tour this year! Funny how they worded it but I see nothing wrong with it, just some clever fundraising. It actually seems quite ironic since trees are grown by "nature" and are now being sold by "the Lord" for the church. Lol

BTW, I don't think it's wrong. It was just something new.

fv

I appreciate the spirit of what the church is doing in regards to the wood.

But the wording of the ad makes it pretty clear to me they are selling wood and should be filing a tax return on the profits.

Otherwise maybe a needy family was thinking ahead instead of waiting until they were freezing and took enough to heat their house. And couldn't afford to make a donation at this time.

Reactions: Jacktheknife
I don't see anything wrong with a church asking for a donation for the wood, but the CL ad is a bit deceiving.......
That said, the people who took the wood with no regards to a donation (or contacting someone in the church for that matter) upsets me. Just another reflection of the times we live in. Everybody feels entitled to take something, whether they've earned it, paid for it, or not.....
Eats my craw, I tell ya. Don't get me started, this post will end up in the ash can.......
Hopefully, someone will come forward and either admit that they took the wood and couldn't afford a donation, or come forward, admit they took it, and donate some money to the church.

Here is the ad:

We have several cords of seasoned top quality firewood available for whomever needs it. We ask for a donation to the church. We are located in the rural area outside of Tipp City at 6995 Peters Rd. Tipp City 45371 Call 609-5437 "Skyview Wesleyan Church" The Wood is located on the church property. It is not for free ,we do ask for a donation to the church!(So whoever took 4 cords please be honest and call to make a payment.)It's stealing from the Lord not too!

It's not stealing if they are giving it to 'whomever needs it.' When you 'ask' for a donation you shouldn't expect payment.

So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. ~ Matthew 6:2-4

Reactions: Ashful and TimJ
Status
Not open for further replies.