Here's an interesting CL ad

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by others

There's got to be a better reference for this. The church is trying to generate revenue and skirt tax law, not make itself look good. Maybe, ""Render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and unto God the things that are God's?"

Reactions: Jacktheknife
Here is the ad:

We have several cords of seasoned top quality firewood available for whomever needs it. We ask for a donation to the church. We are located in the rural area outside of Tipp City at 6995 Peters Rd. Tipp City 45371 Call 609-5437 "Skyview Wesleyan Church" The Wood is located on the church property. It is not for free ,we do ask for a donation to the church!(So whoever took 4 cords please be honest and call to make a payment.)It's stealing from the Lord not too!

It's not stealing if they are giving it to 'whomever needs it.' When you 'ask' for a donation you shouldn't expect payment.

So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. ~ Matthew 6:2-4

I would like to see the original ad, because this one certainly seems to start off with "for the needy" and "donation." It seems like the original ad would have ended after stating the wood is located on the property, as the rest of it seems to be a reaction to the missing wood. Seems to me someone in need probably took it, possibly even donated via the collection plate, and the church is mad because they didnt seem to come out ahead in their tax fraud scheme.

Maybe i will process some for a local church when i get a year ahead.

Please let us not allow this thread to be a bashing of churches and their practices. It is their property and they can do with it as they see fit.

Please let us not allow this thread to be a bashing of churches and their practices. It is their property and they can do with it as they see fit.

They can do whatever they want with it. But it seems they want it both ways...

One shouldn't expect to get paid for charity work.

Reactions: Jacktheknife
I never wished I was a moderator before...

<-- would lock this mother down.

Not churches, just the one that posted the ad.

I never wished I was a moderator before...

<-- would lock this mother down.

For being critical of a sketchy deal on Craigslist? If this was a private seller people were questioning no one would be calling for the ash can. Churches are not above the rest of society, they are not perfect. A bit part of this forum is alerting the community and bringing discussion of suspect deals like this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.