Here's one way to deal with wood thieves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've put transmitters in equipment so you could tell when their being moved. LowJack for Lumberjack. The first thing I thought of was a wireless transmitter/vibration sensor, or even a cord wrapped around a pile of wood that could let off a siren. maybe even a cheap scale stuffed under the middle of the pile, with an alarm point tied to the needle so when the top would was lifted you get an alarm. I don't know how badly people want to catch their wood thieves, but I'm sure a small GPS or even a beat up cell phone stuffed into a a hollow log would give you the wood's final destination.

Batteries don't work well when its this cold outside, but I would LOVE to know where the wood ends up.

btuser said:
Batteries don't work well when its this cold outside, but I would LOVE to know where the wood ends up.
None of my wood has grown legs yet despite being out near the road. I don't know if my dog has anything to do with it. There are a lot of pickups that pull into my driveway and then spin their wheels taking off when the dog goes tearing down the driveway.

I got a lot of meter read estimates because the dog intimidated the meter reader. The hydro utility recently swapped my meter out with a wireless model so now they don't have to leave the vehicle. I have two wireless IR motion sensor driveway alarms but they are not reliable. Too many false alarms. Some day I might bury some wire in the driveway for a proper loop detector instead. I'm also thinking of putting in a gate.

Status
Not open for further replies.