Hey Pallet scroungers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FPX Dude

Feeling the Heat
Oct 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
I usually search CL or look around various warehouse's for pallets that I use for kindling, well I just came across the golf cart mechanic at the local CC, he said they've got tons and don't know how to get rid of 'em. I don't know how or why they get so many but, sure enuf just got a load and will be back for more, plus it's right next door...kinda like having a good 'ol "fishing hole" in your backyard....ssshhhh, don't tell anyone!!! :p

It always surprises me how random my pallet finds are. I spent weeks trying to get the Big Box stores (Lowes, Home Depot, etc) to give me some of theirs, with no luck. Then, last week when I had my friend's truck for a day I found them everywhere -- at a storage depot, at a plumbing store, at the farm shop, at the stove store -- in the space of about 3 hours. Three hours' work and I came back with 13 pallets.

When I lived in a small town in rural Colorado, the local newspaper's printing plant had lots of free pallets stacked out back. You might try calling your local printer (big guys, not Kinko's copy shop).

Good fine. I am also amazed at where and how often I find them. My first year I was was going to buy some wood racks then I read on here about using pallets. On a job site I saw three behind a building. I asked if they recycle or can I take them. The manager said please get rid of them, if you want I have a few more I can set out tomorrow. Came home with a dozen.

The wife just shakes her head. We went out to eat the other night and saw some out for trash. After eating dropped her off grabbed my truck keys and she gave a chuckle and said "don't need to know, I already know where your going". Disappointed to see my part time job converted to the plastic pallets :-(.

n3pro said:
Good fine. I am also amazed at where and how often I find them. My first year I was was going to buy some wood racks then I read on here about using pallets. On a job site I saw three behind a building. I asked if they recycle or can I take them. The manager said please get rid of them, if you want I have a few more I can set out tomorrow. Came home with a dozen.

The wife just shakes her head. We went out to eat the other night and saw some out for trash. After eating dropped her off grabbed my truck keys and she gave a chuckle and said "don't need to know, I already know where your going". Disappointed to see my part time job converted to the plastic pallets :-(.

Not if you can get some! I'd love some plastic pallets!! Cheers!

NH Wood, FYI I got my plastic pallets from Kroger.

Good find!

My guess on how the CC gets the pallets is to think of it as a farm or a 150 acre landscaping job. They must purchase grass seed, fertilizer, mulch, sand, pebbles, etc., by the pallet.

NH_Wood said:
n3pro said:

Not if you can get some! I'd love some plastic pallets!! Cheers!

Shop around at some of the big stores -- the Lowes in Portsmouth offered to sell me some of their plastic pallets for a buck or two each. I know that they're company-owned pallets, so I'm not sure if that was just them bending the rules or some sort of policy, but it's at least worth asking about.

Pallets are great for getting anyone through a poor patch for firewood whilst building up future supplies, they make great kindling too.

They might burn fast, but sometimes you want to warm up fast too.... ;-)

I once popped in on my local K-Mart and talked to the shipping and receiving manager. Told him I had a wood stove and asked about the pallets behind the store. Well.....3hours later I had about 60 pallets stacked neatly in my backyard. Did some research and found out 30 pallets in weight = 1 face cord of wood. I can now go back any time I feel like it and grab free wood. Asking goes a long way.

Just to be sure I'm clear... you guys are burning the pallets, or are you stacking your firewood on them to keep it off the ground (or both?). I assume you use a power saw to cut the pallets down to size, but don't you worry about nails? And do they make your fireplace burn too hot? A little more info please.

Thanks,

Sam

How are you guys cutting the plastic pallets to stove length? :p

I saw an ad on craigslist for a company giving pallets away, I grabbed a dozen to make wood racks and I grabbed some skimpy broken ones to cut up for kindling. If he has some hardwood pallets next time I go by I may cut those up for firewood.

samhoff2 said:
Just to be sure I'm clear... you guys are burning the pallets, or are you stacking your firewood on them to keep it off the ground (or both?). I assume you use a power saw to cut the pallets down to size, but don't you worry about nails? And do they make your fireplace burn too hot? A little more info please.

Thanks,

Sam

I burn them and store wood on them. I use a circular saw, try to avoid the nails, sometimes you get one but I usually buy the cheaper blades so it's not a huge deal. As far as burning too hot I only use a few pieces for the first starter fire or to get the low coals fire going or to burn down coals if I got a build up. You use to many yes bad. Shoulder season I'll use 3 - 4 thicker pieces east - west, and begin to close the primary air off as soon the flue temps get up to normal level and close it down quicker then with normal splits; last about an hour then when there isn't much coals left repeat. With a small firebox they come in quite handy. I have a lot of very few coals and starter fires. That's my only regret - wish I would have went for a medium size for longer burn times.

New car dealers (or at least the one I worked at) where chucking a steady supply of pallets out the door. Talk to the manager of the parts dept, I'm sure they would have no problem with people taking "trash".

Any ACE Hardware store will be your friend for life if you will haul pallets off. The ones around here have to pay to have them hauled away. They get so many that the shopping center management is constantly carping at the one closest to me.

I think the oak pallets are primo and will guard my sources carefully:) but think HEAVY stuff on them:)
Here in southern NH CL is always having peeps looking to unload pallets for free but most are fir- which is fine for kindling/should season and for peeps like me that use a small stove and use them to supplement my good wood. I know several of my local Scooter Store's can't get rid of pallets fast enough if you want pine/fir ones. Seeing more and more painted which is sad but still free heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.