HI300 wood insert and power failures

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lsirois

Hearth Supporter
Jun 14, 2008
Amherst, NH
After loading my HI300 for the night, I started thinking what would happen if we had a power failure after I had a strong fire going in my fully-loaded stove. Once I close the air intake on this thing, the stove temp really "takes off". I have the blower so it cools down the stove. If I had a power failure at this point, wouldn't the stove overfire? Not much one can do I assume except to close the air intake all the way down?

What the heck do people do when they buy these without the blower? The stove must get extremely hot!

I was thinking the same thing about my BK last night also, we have high winds and we got a little snow, not enough to down lines but its a long winter and who knows what will happen. I know I close mine down pretty low and keep the fan on low, I really just want it to put out a small stready stream of heat while we sleep and then I turn the t-stat up when I get up. Not sure if the blower completely off would be enough to overfire.

I am pretty confident that the stove could overfire after I get a good fire going after filling it up if the blower isn't turned on.

We have a HI300 and we had a broken draft rod which I posted a while back. Fortunately it apparently does not happen often, and the company replaced it with a new unit. But, until they swapped it out, we continued to use it so it was essentially burning wide open. We ran it like that for over a month every day and there was no evidence of over firing the stove. I have seen the posts with over fired stoves...but ours looked like it was the day it was bought. You may run temps high, but I can't see how it would permanently damage the stove. Certainly not from one load during a power failure.

lsirois said:
After loading my HI300 for the night, I started thinking what would happen if we had a power failure after I had a strong fire going in my fully-loaded stove. Once I close the air intake on this thing, the stove temp really "takes off". I have the blower so it cools down the stove. If I had a power failure at this point, wouldn't the stove overfire? Not much one can do I assume except to close the air intake all the way down?

What the heck do people do when they buy these without the blower? The stove must get extremely hot!
Ahhh,That's were the genarator go's on.

From what I understand, all decent inserts are designed to burn thru a full load of wood without the blower going in the event of a power failure. This is also why most insert blowers have an on/off button. I'm not sure how much different it would be than a free standing wood stove burning without a blower. The jacket is insulated and natural convection should disperse the heat

Status
Not open for further replies.