High heat insulation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Maraian

Nov 28, 2017
Annapolis, MD
Ive got a newly installed Quad CB1200 and noticed a wicked draft coming in from the chimmney adapter.
My stove vents into an external stainless chimmny that was previously used for a woodstove. Now there is some steel wool packed into the spaces of the adapter.
i am considering using a product like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DE2FD26/?tag=hearthamazon-20

to fill the space around the cminney adapter and inside to rock wall opening in the picture:

GetAttachmentThumbnail

Ive got a newly installed Quad CB1200 and noticed a wicked draft coming in from the chimmney adapter.
My stove vents into an external stainless chimmny that was previously used for a woodstove. Now there is some steel wool packed into the spaces of the adapter.

to fill the space around the cminney adapter and inside to rock wall opening in the picture:

GetAttachmentThumbnail
The insulation would be toucking the adapter and maybe closer than the reccomended 3" to the pipe
Anybody know if this would be ok?

GetAttachmentThumbnail
Looks like it would work. My stove has Roxul, packed around the vent thimble.

I'd use it your pipe from a pellet stove will not
get anywhere near the heat rating if the insulation

Koawool will work and it is expensive but not nearly that expensive!! Roxul mineral wool blanket will also work and it's a lot cheaper and usually available at a home center. Ask for Mineral wool fire safing insulation material. Please tell me you don't really mean steel wool. Have you ever put a lighter to a piece of steel wool. It burns faster than paper!
Ron

Yup it sure looks like steel wool. It was there already, Dang it, I had no idea it was flammable!
I remember as a kid lighting steelwool on fire! I dont know why we tried but i do remember that it burned like crazy. It must be the oil or something on it that is flammable?

Steel wool is made from Iron and Iron oxidizes (rusts). Combustion is just rapid oxidation of a material. The reason it catches fire and an angle iron doesn't is because it's shredded so fine and the flame can heat it up quickly.
Ron

Reactions: vinny11950