High Temp light ***Update

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Maraian

Nov 28, 2017
Annapolis, MD
Ok, so my 1995 Sierra Products Easy Fire 5000 cuts off after sometime and the overheat light comes on.
After cool down, it'll start right up.
If I reduce the feed rate to to about 65% of max itll stay light for much longer, even through the night some times, other times it'll cut off after several hours.
I have cleaned the stove and flue / chimney pipe.
I have swapped the two newer sensors ( problem persisted)
I have replaced the motor, combustion and convection fan ( it was noises and vibrating anyway)
Thinking it must be the main motherboard
There is a short section of pipe from the exhaust manifold to the rear of the stove / glue pipe that is not accessable. I tried blowing it with my leaf blower.
I quess I can remove the flue pipe off the rear of the stove and check for obstruction ( but I think this is unlikely)
Also if the pipe was obstructed this should trigger the blocked flue light ( hasn't happened)
The manufacturer has been slow to respond to email.
Does any one know what a general overheat temperature would be? 250F?
Trying to figure out if I am really overheating or if the problem is sensor / computer in origin?
Any thought on disassembling pipe to check for obstruction is it pretty easy to reinstall?

Last edited:
what sensors did you change and how many? your manual is not availabe for free anymore so i cant look at the wire diagram.

Have you checked the intake for obstructions?

the new convection fan was this an OEM replacement or an ebay/internet blower? did it have the same specifications as the original/

if you have replaced the T2 sensor and its still overheating, either the new sensor isn't up to par or there has to be something in the control board. Honestly i don't have a good answer for you. this one is a little baffling. sorry:(

Last time it overheated, I hit it with the IR temp gun, the sensor was about 200 f with temps up to 250 f close by ( this was a few seconds after turning off.
This seems not very hot to me, what do you think? The sensor is mounted on the exhaust manifold

if you have replaced the T2 sensor and its still overheating, either the new sensor isn't up to par or there has to be something in the control board. Honestly i don't have a good answer for you. this one is a little baffling. sorry:(
Yes, I recently replaced the both sensors, prior to this issue.
Then after the issue presented, I swapped the sensors with each other, thinking if the sensor was faulty, the fault would follow the sensor , but it didn't.
Yes the only thing I can think of is replace the motherboard or an obstruction somewhere I can't get to.
Thanks for your help

air intake, heat exchanger covered with ash, convection blower not blowing enough air over heat exchanger, faulty sensor. i don't know what could be on the control board that would cause an overheat without one of these going on.

Last time it overheated, I hit it with the IR temp gun, the sensor was about 200 f with temps up to 250 f close by ( this was a few seconds after turning off.
This seems not very hot to me, what do you think? The sensor is mounted on the exhaust manifold

most stoves high limit (Overheat) switches are 250f and kill power to the stove.

Amazing you have an eazyfire back there! Always considered them a lo budget thelin,even with all the stories of where they were built,Any stove that has the room blower on the same motor as the combustion blower(same motor just an upper and lower fan blade) is so 20 years out of date,inefficient,there is some control board updates,check on the website.

They are not very cheap, 3-4 k for a new stove. actually many of the parts are Thelin. I think the PO got it because of the back up battery feature, we are all electric here and with a lot of trees, power outs used to be very common.

They are not very cheap, 3-4 k for a new stove. actually many of the parts are Thelin. I think the PO got it because of the back up battery feature, we are all electric here and with a lot of trees, power outs used to be very common.
Expensive does not make it a good product,good salesmanship sells the product.Thelin has been junk for years,except for off the grid people,The parts are expensive,they perform poorly,and customer service is very poor

Perhaps the heat exchanger or the fan for it is clogged with ash. If the heat isn't removed from the stove, it will overtemp.

Just start using New England Wood Pellets/Green Supreme, they never burn hot enough to cause a problem!

Sorry, couldn’t resist, Happy Holidays....