High temp silicone wont adhere to stainless

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Minister of Fire
May 8, 2011
midwest
A few days ago i put a storm gaurd on my flashing for my stainless double wall. I went up to look at it this morning and it had completely delaminated from the stainless chimney. It was well adhered to the galvanized storm collar. I re applied a bead under the collar and slid it down over the bead then laid another bead over it. Ill check it tomorrow and see what i have.

The brand is Meecos rated for 500 degrees. Its all that is available locally. Hope it works this time. Cant understand why it wouldnt stick to stainless. I thought silicone sticks to anything.

No need for high temp in that location. I think that Meeco's is more of a sealant than adhesive. Regular silicone is ok. Choose one with good adhesive qualities and meant for outdoor use. GE Silicone II window/door is good stuff. Wipe down with alcohol first if there is any oil on the pipe or flashing.

Screen Shot 2020-09-27 at 8.01.33 PM.png

Last edited:
Wipe down with alcohol first if there is any oil on the pipe or flashing.
I bet that was it...I have learned to wipe down almost everything that I'm going to glue/seal...much higher success rate.

I bet that was it...I have learned to wipe down almost everything that I'm going to glue/seal...much higher success rate.
Same for stove painting too. FWIW, I have been impressed by the bonding strength of GE Silicone II.

Same for stove painting too. FWIW, I have been impressed by the bonding strength of GE Silicone II.
Definitely…most painting is all about the prep work

Wipe down the substrate with IPA to remove all oil or dirt. Most of the run of a mill adhesives at hardware stores have a temperature threshold of 500 degrees.. beyond that and you're into specialty adhesives.

Wipe down the substrate with IPA to remove all oil or dirt. Most of the run of a mill adhesives at hardware stores have a temperature threshold of 500 degrees.. beyond that and you're into specialty adhesives.
Make that most silicone adhesives. There are many others (latex, polyurethane) that would not be appropriate due to lower service temps.

Oh and I recommend clear silicone for the Stainless chimney. I thought grey would look better but it doesn't.

Yes, clear, with good UV resistance and strong adhesion. I looked at our flashing after 15 yrs and it looked good.