Higher bills from recent polar blast?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Easy Livin’ 3000

Minister of Fire
Dec 23, 2015
SEPA
Anyone experiencing outrageously higher bills from keeping their house warm during the recent cold snap?

Through heavy use of the stove, thermal curtains on the windows, long underwear, and down blankets, ours, for the month through mid January was $105, up from an average of $75 per month. This is gas and electric.

We have a poorly insulated old house with rubble stone walls on half, and stick framing on the other half. Also, an old inefficient gas boiler with large cast iron radiators in each room.

There was a little discomfort, as even running the gas boiler constantly didn't keep us very warm. Hopefully we'll get the place tightened up before next winter.

Last years gas bill was $68, this years was $45.
Well, your house had the advantage of being warmed this year by all the wildfires, with mudslide insulation, and the warm glow of newly legal recreational cannabis...

Reactions: Tar12
Anyone experiencing outrageously higher bills from keeping their house warm during the recent cold snap?

Through heavy use of the stove, thermal curtains on the windows, long underwear, and down blankets, ours, for the month through mid January was $105, up from an average of $75 per month. This is gas and electric.

We have a poorly insulated old house with rubble stone walls on half, and stick framing on the other half. Also, an old inefficient gas boiler with large cast iron radiators in each room.

There was a little discomfort, as even running the gas boiler constantly didn't keep us very warm. Hopefully we'll get the place tightened up before next winter.
I'm not sure how big your house is but that seems pretty reasonable to me, especially for a an uninsulated house.
So when do the long underwear come into play? Seems a shame to wear that to bed.
BTW, electric mattress covers are sweet!

Im always 120-130 on electric roughly, havnt filled the oil tank since april of 2016. We have high electric rates here.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
My electric bill went up $15....heat bill $ 0

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
I'm not sure how big your house is but that seems pretty reasonable to me, especially for a an uninsulated house.
So when do the long underwear come into play? Seems a shame to wear that to bed.
BTW, electric mattress covers are sweet!
Small house, trouble is, almost have to count the attic and cellar because of how poorly insulated. Next year it'll be better!

My electric bill went up $15....heat bill $ 0
We'll get there. It was pretty close to the last year with the mild winter. Our water heater and clothes dryer are also gas, so there will always be some burned.

My parents (90 miles from where I live) have a natural gas bill of $300-400 every winter month.

Since wood is my primary heat source, my electric bill is normally $140-200.

Small house, trouble is, almost have to count the attic and cellar because of how poorly insulated. Next year it'll be better!
best time to identify the leaks is in the winter! I have been telling myself I am going to actually do something about the ones in my house for a while now!

our gas bill is up $40.00 from normal because i heat the rooms in the basement with the boiler.