Hit the jackpot of wood !

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pallet Pete

Yesterday while helping my buddy paint his house I noticed a neighbor with a huge black walnut laying already cut up for the most part. I went over and asked if I could take some and was told take it all ! PLEASE ! Turns out she is moving to Florida and has a walk through next week so we have 4 truck loads home and possibly more to come if the rain lets up.

Pete

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1379268218.010256.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1379268218.010256.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 310
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1379268240.626658.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1379268240.626658.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 313
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1379268267.156584.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1379268267.156584.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 309
Yesterday while helping my buddy paint his house I noticed a neighbor with a huge black walnut laying already cut up for the most part. I went over and asked if I could take some and was told take it all ! PLEASE ! Turns out she is moving to Florida and has a walk through next week so we have 4 truck loads home and possibly more to come if the rain lets up.

Pete

Nice score.

Reactions: Pallet Pete
Very nice score indeed...... Congrats

Nice score. Talk about walking right into a good thing. Sometime a little footwork and curiousity can lead to nice things.

There is at least two more loads of larger rounds and a third of 6" branch rounds.

Pete

Wow man ! that's a great score Pete, that new splitter is gonna make short work outa that.
Hay Pete , how much wood do you burn per season ??

Wow man ! that's a great score Pete, that new splitter is gonna make short work outa that.
Hay Pete , how much wood do you burn per season ??

Around 3.5 to 4.5 full cord per year. Last year was sort of a blessing due to the heat we used way less than normal. Looks like this year will be a cold one so maybe more.

Pete

Awesome score there Pete good for you .. Walnut is some of my favorite to burn:cool: , great smell and burns hot .

I also find that walnut dries out fairly quick. Two years or good seasoned walnut. It will keep forever stacked.
I have some stacked 8th year. Great wood. Nice score Pete.

Very nice Pete. Very nice score. Man, you guys and all these awesome scores are making me realize something. I need to get out more. Socialize more, spread the word that I burn wood. Call the closest tree service guys. Etc. Very glad for all of you but your starting to make me jealous! :mad:

it looks like a very pretty wood - a bit similar (in looks) to our Blackwood perhaps? This is my favourite wood at the moment as it splits easy and dries within 6 months and its hardwood.
CAM00137.jpg

it looks like a very pretty wood - a bit similar (in looks) to our Blackwood perhaps? This is my favourite wood at the moment as it splits easy and dries within 6 months and its hardwood.
View attachment 111724
Does it bear 6-12 cm green fruit that drop and make a mess of your driveway/yard? It may be the same tree.

It will keep forever stacked. I have some stacked 8th year.
I found a twenty-year-old top out there this summer, and it's still mostly good wood. I'll burn Walnut this winter for the first time. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.