Hitzer Furnace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Medic21

Minister of Fire
Feb 26, 2017
Northern Indiana
Stopped in at Hitzer today, made about 10 miles from my house. Looking to get rid of the old Juca in the basement with something more user friendly so the wife will feel comfortable with feeding it, and heat my small shop with Juca.

Anyone have any experience with a 55 or 82 furnace. Wondering how well they sustain longer burns so I can burn when I'm not home and overnight? I have to babysit the Juca and only load enough for 2-3 hours or it overheats. Quality looks outstanding and the longevity sounds good too. Are they batter in quality than the US Stove big box store stoves?

Not sure about this model but in the past from what I've seen Hitzer quality is very good. I wouldn't compare it to US Stove. If you are looking at that option also look at Englander (aka Summer's Heat) and Drolet stoves.

Stopped in at Hitzer today, made about 10 miles from my house. Looking to get rid of the old Juca in the basement with something more user friendly so the wife will feel comfortable with feeding it, and heat my small shop with Juca.

Anyone have any experience with a 55 or 82 furnace. Wondering how well they sustain longer burns so I can burn when I'm not home and overnight? I have to babysit the Juca and only load enough for 2-3 hours or it overheats. Quality looks outstanding and the longevity sounds good too. Are they batter in quality than the US Stove big box store stoves?

I have been to Hitzer many times (worked in Berne for 13 years). They are mostly coal / wood stoves built for the Amish. I don't believe they are EPA stoves either. I know some people with the Hitzer stoves, they like them but doubt they have used any EPA stoves either. I would recommend something else for longer burns as begreen mentioned - Englander, Drolet for economy or PE, Quadrafire, Blaze King for a pricier option.

A buddy of mine still uses a Juca in his shop, it is a monster in size.

Where you from (10 miles from Hitzer)?

Yeah they are coal only for sale by EPA regs but, can burn either. I am looking to possibly burn coal also, that is why I was looking at them, that and parts availability as local.

I'm just a couple mile southwest of Craigville. I turned wrenches at the Ford Dealer in Berne years ago.

Yeah they are coal only for sale by EPA regs but, can burn either. I am looking to possibly burn coal also, that is why I was looking at them, that and parts availability as local.

I'm just a couple mile southwest of Craigville. I turned wrenches at the Ford Dealer in Berne years ago.
They can burn either but honestly they are a pretty good coal stove and a pretty bad wood stove as are most combo units

Reactions: webby3650
I have been to Hitzer many times (worked in Berne for 13 years). They are mostly coal / wood stoves built for the Amish. I don't believe they are EPA stoves either. I know some people with the Hitzer stoves, they like them but doubt they have used any EPA stoves either. I would recommend something else for longer burns as begreen mentioned - Englander, Drolet for economy or PE, Quadrafire, Blaze King for a pricier option.

A buddy of mine still uses a Juca in his shop, it is a monster in size.

Where you from (10 miles from Hitzer)?
Which one did you buy? Would you recommend it?

I love my Hitzer! I recently ran out of coal and have been using the Woodstove again. I really miss the coal. My house is under construction so insulation is nonexistent in the ceiling downstairs, I still could get 24 hours between reloads. I’m really interested to see how it does once the spray foam is done.

Reactions: Hoytman and bholler
I love my Hitzer! I recently ran out of coal and have been using the Woodstove again. I really miss the coal. My house is under construction so insulation is nonexistent in the ceiling downstairs, I still could get 24 hours between reloads. I’m really interested to see how it does once the spray foam is done.
They do make great stoves. And some of their combo units are better than most. But when you make a combo stove compromises need to be made in the burning of one or both fuels.

They do make great stoves. And some of their combo units are better than most. But when you make a combo stove compromises need to be made in the burning of one or both fuels.
I had read a bunch about hitzer before I pulled the trigger, I also talked to them at length at the trades show a few times. They are great people!
Lots of people were interested in burning wood and the long times coal burners all said they too were interested until you had coal for a while, advised to just sell the wood and buy coal with the money. I agree. They don’t burn wood all that well.. the constant output from the coal is unmatched. I got used to it real quick!

I had read a bunch about hitzer before I pulled the trigger, I also talked to them at length at the trades show a few times. They are great people!
Lots of people were interested in burning wood and the long times coal burners all said they too were interested until you had coal for a while, advised to just sell the wood and buy coal with the money. I agree. They don’t burn wood all that well.. the constant output from the coal is unmatched. I got used to it real quick!
I am glad it's working out for you. I personally hate burning coal but to each their own. How is your back btw

I am glad it's working out for you. I personally hate burning coal but to each their own. How is your back btw
Maybe you need a hitzer hopper stove? It’s just so convenient. I find wood to be way messier.
I’m getting an injection next week and started physical therapy. They offered surgery but I only wanted that as a last option.

Reactions: Hoytman
Maybe you need a hitzer hopper stove? It’s just so convenient. I find wood to be way messier.
I’m getting an injection next week and started physical therapy. They offered surgery but I only wanted that as a last option.
I have used stoker stoves and axman Anderson boiler and a hand fired unit. I don't like the dirt or the smell. It's just not my thing.

I have used stoker stoves and axman Anderson boiler and a hand fired unit. I don't like the dirt or the smell. It's just not my thing.
Maybe you are just overwhelmed by it because it’s all around you and you work on them? Other than Amish, I might be the only one around here using coal. I almost never smell it, I go looking after a reload hoping to get a whiff of it sometimes.

Reactions: Hoytman
Maybe you are just overwhelmed by it because it’s all around you and you work on them? Other than Amish, I might be the only one around here using coal. I almost never smell it, I go looking after a reload hoping to get a whiff of it sometimes.
That's possible not sure why I just don't like it.

Webby what model # stove did you get ??

Which Hitzer did you end up purchasing? We are in a similar boat. We just stopped in and are trying to choose between the 55 and 82 models. We have over 2400 sq on the main floor, one sales person said to buy the smaller but burn it hotter and and the Amish fella thought the larger would be better.

Which Hitzer did you end up purchasing? We are in a similar boat. We just stopped in and are trying to choose between the 55 and 82 models. We have over 2400 sq on the main floor, one sales person said to buy the smaller but burn it hotter and and the Amish fella thought the larger would be better.
I went with a Crown Royal Boiler. Best decision I ever made.